Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #1

*ist DS(2) not recording...blank images (in cold weather)

Had old MX/KX till now, and a good collection of primes, but did all my painstaking research and finally plunged into DSLR world via a very clean second-hand *ist DS2 off E-bad. Friend shot my wedding with it with good results. That was in a place in the hills of moderate temperature. Arriving back up here at 7,000ft in the Himalayas in winter, everything's still working great - camera turns on and seems to function in every way (displays, menus, focus, etc), but the images are not writing to any card at room temperature (which is about 60-65degrees presently). UNLESS I put the camera near a heater for awhile, after which everything's perfect again, with all images recording / reviewing properly (till it cools off!).

I know from past experience with electronics that a lot of temperature-induced faults come down to cracked solder joints on the circuit boards, etc - having seen a number of similar complaints (but no answers) on Fixya or some other tech site re: this particular camera (but not noting temperature), I was just wondering if it was a common enough issue that someone out there could give info re: any particular trouble spot / component in the circuit. I'm a relatively technical guy, don't mind re-flowing solder joints, etc - but prefer a little more info before diving in blind...

By the way, review works, but all images are coming out either black or pink. Sometimes in the instant review there is a very slim lighter line across the bottom of the display which MAY be a recorded portion, though I'm unsure. And YES, I do remember to take off my lens cap when shooting...

Thanks,
Eric

03-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Subjecting your camera to constant cool-heat cycle isn’t really a good idea as condensation may form inside the body which can do more harm than good. I haven’t taken apart a camera or will I ever try but I’m assuming dismantling and reassembling a dSLR is probably not going to be easy…..unless you’re already an experienced camera repairman. If not, then I would take it to a camera repair shop.
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try contact cleaner on the SD card slot and different cards. Does the camera show an image if you shoot without a card?

Maybe this software PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras would help narrow down the problem, though I believe you need a working card slot and card for the program to work. I guess the camera thinks it has a card installed.
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using SDHC cards? Have you updated the firmware?

Just a thought.

Chris

03-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
What happens when you try taking a picture in bulb mode? Another possibility (although less likely if ALL the images are black) is the shutter sticking when it's cold and loosening up when it's warm.