Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-r ISO and Lighting

Just discovered this newbie section, where I definitely belong.

I have a new K-r and cannot get it to use the ISO 100. I have the setting to allow it (extended) but cannot get the camera to actually use it. In fact it won't even show up on my menu. Is there something I'm missing? I would like to try 100 but cannot get the camera below 200.

Question about indoor lighting too:

I have taken quite a few shots indoors and no matter what the setting, I am getting some blur and only occasional crisp focus. I realize there are 100 variables for focusing indoors, but I wondered if anyone has settings for tungsten lighting conditions that give you great focus. I'm trying to get pictures of artwork from 2-3' away. I am not using my tripod yet because I thought this could be done at ISO 200 with propping the camera on the back of a chair or just holding it.

03-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1)
I don't have a K-r so can't advise about ISO100

2)
K-r and K5 suffer from focusing problems under tungsten light. Might be your issue as well. Everybody is hoping for a firmware fix.
03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shellinaya Quote
Just discovered this newbie section, where I definitely belong.

I have a new K-r and cannot get it to use the ISO 100. I have the setting to allow it (extended) but cannot get the camera to actually use it. In fact it won't even show up on my menu. Is there something I'm missing? I would like to try 100 but cannot get the camera below 200.
Welcome to the forum. I don't have the K-r but it should be same as the K-x I have. To be able to use ISO 100, you need to turn off shadow correction.
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
rfg

This works fine for me: I have extended ISO on and at least with the auto-ISO setting the camera will definitely go to 100 in bright light. I dont have the camera in front of me but am almost positive that I can manually select 100 too. Are you sure you saved the extended setting?

I have taken quite a few shots indoors and no matter what the setting, I am getting some blur and only occasional crisp focus. I realize there are 100 variables for focusing indoors, but I wondered if anyone has settings for tungsten lighting conditions that give you great focus.
As already mentioned, the K-r tends to focus too close ("front focus") in tungsten light. For me the best work around is to use live view which uses a different focusing system: it has been spot on for me. If you can use daylight then the viewfinder focus is good.

03-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Question about indoor lighting too:

I have taken quite a few shots indoors and no matter what the setting, I am getting some blur and only occasional crisp focus. I realize there are 100 variables for focusing indoors, but I wondered if anyone has settings for tungsten lighting conditions that give you great focus. I'm trying to get pictures of artwork from 2-3' away. I am not using my tripod yet because I thought this could be done at ISO 200 with propping the camera on the back of a chair or just holding it.
Is it focus errors or motion blur that are causing your problems? An example or two will help troubleshoot.

In typical indoor light and with a stationary target (like most artwork) you are better off using a stable tripod rather than trying to handhold, even with SR and something to brace against.
03-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Look at page 99 of the manual:

K-R PDF manual

You just need to make sure Expanded Sensitivity is set to On and Highlight Correction is turned off.

As for the blur, your shutter speed may be too slow especially if you're hand holding. Not sure which lens you're using, but I'll guess it's the kit lens. If you're shooting artwork, corner sharpness is probably preferred. I suggest setting the camera to Manual mode and setting your aperture to F8. Make sure your shutterspeed is higher than your focal length. For example, if you're shooting 35mm, use a shutter of 1/60s or 1/90s to be safe. Don't be afraid to boost your ISO to compensate for the shutter/aperture, especially if you're shooting with the K-r. You should get good images even using ISO 1600 to 3200. Other than that, set the white balance to whatever lighting is appropriate for the ambient light.
03-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

What Eins said:

Expanded Sensitivity on...Highlight Correction off to reach 100, which I shoot at 99% of the time. And FYI--Highlight correction doesn't get great marks for the K-x, and I don't know if this was improved at all for the K-r.

You can leave Shadow Correction on.
03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I had a bit of a time figuring it out myself, flipping from pages 99 to 207, back to 89... the manual doesnt come right out and tell you but Ira and Eins have nailed it - I shoulda posted here instead of wearing out my manual.

I've noticed that the support form forum posters is even more superb if you post an image with the camera settings.

Since I'm new too, I'm trying out forum features so I put some recent pics in an album that are K-r ISO 100.

03-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
RonakG, yes, after I asked the question I discovered you need to turn off Highlight Correction to get to ISO 100.
03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

Original Poster
Great tips, thanks! Thanks for the setting info. especially. I will try more later today and also try using the tripod.

The out of focus images seem to be caused by motion (mine).
03-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Matt:

I come from the film era, where you always wanted to use the lowest ISO available, but back then (and still) , many of us stilll
use ASA as the designation.

And there are major debates here on whether 100 is worth the extra stop loss compared to 200.

For me in sunny Florida, it sure damn is.

Last edited by Ira; 03-09-2011 at 04:17 PM.
03-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Nice shot, Matt! And I see the flash fired.

Did you pop it up, or did P mode activate it? (I'm not that good at interpreting EXIF data.)

03-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Truth be told, my E-dial is F'd up, so I was auto mode. Dropping camera off for service today. I normaly shoot in Aperture priority as I'm a photo newb still. The flash is always manual because I'm in love with my FA50/1.4. These are taken with the Kit though because I didnt want to be standing in the creek to catch a large object in screen... like float going by.

I popped the flash because the previous shot didnt have what I was looking for.

Last edited by mattt; 11-02-2014 at 07:24 PM.