03-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will send you a PM

03-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #137
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Nicole:

As I looked at your various images, I did notice that there was usually a point that was sharp. In your first image, it was an area around the front arm on the shirt. Other images showed a point of sharpness. I tell my students when you are faced with a soft/blurry image to look for ANYTHING in the image that is sharp. If there is no area/point of sharp focus, then you probably have motion blur. If there is an area of sharp focus then the point of focus was off. Using manual focus may help alleviate some of the off focus problems. I hit this type of issue with my K7 early on and just switched to center point focusing. I have done better ever since (point at area you want sharp, focus lock, recompose, shoot).

I'll admit I am old school and still like manual focus lenses (they can be easier in these situations!), but auto focus is a nice convenience, it just has to be mastered a bit!

Keep at it. Remember, a great hitting baseball player only gets a hit 1 time every three times at bat!

Regards,
03-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave

I've tried manual focus, but with Mr million mph it's an impossible feat for me, but I'm sure someone with a lot more experience than me would be able to do it.

I have changed focus points on my Kx now so I don't have to recompose so much and I'm finding that's working better for me, I still use centre focus, just different points of it, depending on my composition.

I have to say I love this forum, people are so helpful in so many ways. Makes me extra glad I went Pentax
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #139
Site Supporter

N:

Remember, before auto focus, there was photography! If the kid is moving around, focus on where he is headed and wait until he hits the spot and CLICK! It works better than auto focus many times.

Otherwise, nap time shots will do the trick (his, not yours)! LOL

Regards,

03-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #140
Veteran Member

I agree, hard to not use AF when the little ones are whizzing about, especially indoors with lower light and wide open aperture, that shallow DoF is very unforgiving. My 18-135mm WR just came in and I'm certain it will not get much indoor use without a flash as it's f3.5-5.6 and my 43mm Ltd is f1.9 not much of a decision to be made there. Not to mention the much poorer IQ of the 18-135, heck I'm thinking of returning it.

I think the only way you could even stand a chance with manual focus indoors with little kids is if you had a Katz-Eye screen or something like that.
03-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep at it. Remember, a great hitting baseball player only gets a hit 1 time every three times at bat!

Translated for Australians :-

even Bradman made ducks.
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicole, you could try buying an old manual focus lens and using 'Catch in focus' to get shots of the young-un'. A few ebay $ should find you something like a 50mm F/2. CIF works quite well.
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good news! The seller refunded my money and as soon as BHphotos opens again, I'll be purchasing the Metz 50 off them, yay

Yeah I should give the catch in focus a try again one day, I think I tried it once but didn't have much luck.

03-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Nice one Nic..glad you had a good outcome...

btw.

my sigma ef 500 turned up...in good nick and seems to work a treat..once I suss it out that is..LMAO
03-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol So far so good hey? Hope it works perfectly for you!

I'm really excited about ordering through BH, have heard nothing but good things about them and I don't think I will ever buy overseas expensive camera related gear through ebay again. I've lost $42 in that transaction and learnt my lesson well.
03-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Ive bought quite a few things from B&H and have never had a problem. They ship very fast, for instance i normally order items on a friday and its here on monday! Local post in Australia isnt even that quick!