Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, so I am starting to think maybe it is my son, here's two more shot this afternoon, my daughter SOOC at 320, f2.8, 1/100 and the spider (not getting too close to that! ) Cropped 100, f3.5, 1/250

Last edited by NicoleAu; 08-20-2011 at 12:53 AM.
03-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
St Andrews Cross spider.

One look at your son's impish eyes tells me he can't stay still for even 1/100 sec.
03-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He is a bit of a cheeky one I just wish I could get some nice clear pics of him, he's just too fast most of the time and when he sees my camera, he thinks it's a funny game lol.

Does anyone have any tips that don't include gaffa taping him in place?
03-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Does anyone have any tips that don't include gaffa taping him in place?
an hour in the freezer might do it!

I think you should make sure you can get a sharp pic from a tripod 1st then once happy/convinced they are ok revisit your son. Bump the ISO up so that you're getting faster shutter speeds. Also try stopping down a little more, say f4, then once you've mastered that, open up the aperture and see how you go with that.

03-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

None of your images have the EXIF which would save you having to type it all in, and would make sure it's complete and accurate (typos happen to the best of us).

However, it strikes me your shutter speeds are often too slow - the rule of thumb for a 35mm camera was the reciprocal of the focal length was the slowest most people could hand-hold e.g. 1/50th for a 50mm lens, and for my own photography I go for the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent so 1/75th for a 50mm lens with my K7.

However I think the suggestion to get some sharp images with a tripod, and/or in better lighting conditions (outdoors for example) would help you believe the kit can produce sharp images. Start with what is achievable, circle in one what you can't manage at the moment. BTW I would use a tripod for something like the spider shot.
03-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Yeah the images do look to be on the soft side however, your sons right eye (from the pic above) looks spot on.
I' dont think you have a problem with the camera or lens, just need to work on your technique a bit more
03-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I kind of lost my tripod the other week. I left it at a bus stop and called the shop behind the bus stop 10 minutes later and it was already gone. However I had the head in my bag, so whoever stole it won't have much use for it. Can't afford a new one for ages either and then the flash saga. But we won't go into that

I've not been having much luck with photography lately, I'm half considering giving up on getting any good at it.
03-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Togefc that's my daughter!!! LOL But that was the eye I was focusing on, so I'm happy with that at least.

03-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Gosh - but maybe the tripod will turn up? But do some outdoor general shots to help you believe the kit can produce sharp photos. I feel this is a confidence issue - you don't quite believe the kit can perform and that's getting in the way of getting it to perform. And the sort of photography you are trying to do (of your kids) isn't particularly easy. I do easy photography - things that don't move so I can put the camera on the tripod, use the remote and not worry (in general!) about a slow shutter speed!
03-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Togefc that's my daughter!!! LOL But that was the eye I was focusing on, so I'm happy with that at least.
lol sorry my bad
03-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using the FA 50 Cats, I don't think that's a kit lens? But I think you're right about the shutter speed, I notice quite a bit of noise from ISO 400 up though I think I'll just shove the camera onto the moving section and take photos of him from that lol.
03-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #27
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

So Nic, it seems you get focus perfect some times, and slightly off other times.
If your technique is consistent, then there may be focusing issues the camera has in low light.
But I'd hazard to say that since it's very hard to know exactly where you're placing your focus with the K-x (no red confirmation focus spots) then it may just be a case of inadvertently misappropriated focus points.

Do avoid locking focus then recomposing especially with portraiture, since the thin DoF is altered with even small movements of the camera after locking focus.
03-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

At the shutter speeds you will need to freeze your son's movements you will not need a tripod for a 50mm lens. You mention 1/100th of a second, and he appears almost perfectly stopped, perhaps a little back focused as his shirt and cheek appear sharp but his eyes and the front of his hair and shirt appear slightly blurry (this is to be expected when recomposing on a moving target).

I would reccommend autofocusing using a single selected point (explained on page 117 of your manual), and using a higher shutter speed. 1/500 is commonly used for basketball so I would try 1/200 or more to start with.
03-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So what's the best way to get the focus locked on eyes, without having center focus in place? I tried the changing focus spots, but I'm finding it hard to know where the focus spot is, if it isn't in the center.

I am considering saving up (for a very very long time lol) for the K-5 or even a K-7 second hand, just to be able to have the assist light to help me with that issue.
03-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm using the FA 50 Cats, I don't think that's a kit lens?
Kit as in equipment!