Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lovely set..I think 6 is the pic of the crop..5 is good too..you have a very good eye and PP skills

with the advent of Digital..theres way more work for the Photographer ..we used to send or little canisters into the shop..now its all done at home..of course that was for the Tog that didn't have a darkroom at home ..loads of work with them

03-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Those two are my favourite as well. I mostly use presets and tweak them until I get something I like, so it's not really so much skill as it is playing lol.

I am so glad there is digital, I think because of it, learning photography is also accelerated more than with film, as you don't have to wait around for results and you can see the settings you used.

I just had a look through an old photobucket album I have at shots I used to take, before I got my dSLR and started learning and I cringe at how awful they are. But I still cherish them as they're of my almost 6yo when she was a baby.
03-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote

I am so glad there is digital, I think because of it, learning photography is also accelerated more than with film, as you don't have to wait around for results and you can see the settings you used.
I learned more in 3 years digital then 40 years (off and on, mostly off because of the price) of film

what a beautiful baby!
great shots BTW

cheers

randy
03-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #124

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I think the Sigma Supers are better than the normal ones, more options on them anyhow. I should maybe look on ebay for those. The seller has until the 25th to respond to my refund claim, I'm so, so glad I sent it back via registered post. The wedding is on the 3rd, so I am definitely going to have to get something cheap to tide me over until then, my budget is a whopping $100, not including any birthday money my fam decide to donate lol!

I started shooting RAW back in September and could never figure out why or how the pros got the sharp images that they did. Occasionally I got the super sharp ones, but that was more luck than anything. It's more the eyes that the pros have on their sites, those super sharp ones and I was always trying to work out how to do it like they did. But as I said, when I did, it was mainly luck lol. I think along with making sure I try and focus better, I will also be added a bit more pp to my work, where it needs it.

It's funny, but before getting a dSLR, I never realised just how much work goes into photography. All you see a tog do is seemingly click their shutter.

Oh and here's the finished shots of my friends baby I did. I know some aren't the greatest and there are no cute hats nor other paraphernalia involved, but she seems pretty happy with them Kade2011 - Nicole Wells' Photos

If your real quick nicole, you may be able to pick up a sigma 530 dg st, i know its not the super but digitalcamerawarehouse have them for a mere $99 which is under your budget (not including $11 postage) see here Pentax System Flashes

certainly may help in the short term... and with radio triggers you could use it as a slave at some point? hardly a bank breaker at the mo... they apparently are clearing them as the 610 has taken over..

Hope that helps...

Steve

03-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #125
Veteran Member

I still recommend manual flashes for this kind of work, and not the standard version of sigma. I do have more advanced flash units, but use them only with pentax specific functions. Once you get use to manual flashes, they are easier to use, better control and most important: consistent results.
03-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #126

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I still recommend manual flashes for this kind of work, and not the standard version of sigma. I do have more advanced flash units, but use them only with pentax specific functions. Once you get use to manual flashes, they are easier to use, better control and most important: consistent results.
Well maybe that's the case but the standard sigma is better than no flash if needed and is currently scary cheap for Oz. Nicole was suggesting hiring but the sigma although limited could get her by. To give you an idea the new 610 super is about 320aud and the standard about 220aud.

A short term fix that maybe has other future uses

Steve
03-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #127
Veteran Member

yeah I dont think you could knock a 530 ST for $99...

03-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #128
Veteran Member

I guess I'm the only one that disagrees then.

I'm not a fan of a flash that lacks HSS which severely restricts it's use outside, and this flash only has 2 manual power settings which severely restricts it's use off camera. What it can do is bounce flash indoors which I acknowledge is useful though.

Sure it's cheap, but the problem is it lacks critical features which will probably mean that another flash will need to be purchased down the track, so in the end it's more expensive to buy these kind of stop gap measures.
03-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #129

Hi twitch your not the only one but if you read the thread and Nicoles flash thread she bought a faulty metz and has limited budget to cover another cheap flash until she sorts a better one out OR she hires one. I don't think anyone disagrees that the st is basic and better are available, it'd just a cheap short term fix to get her out of a hole with a basic but powerful flash.

I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to sell this one as a great flash (although I read it is and haven't tried mine yet) I was just pointing to a cheap unit which is pretty unusual down under

Thanks

Steve
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The seller has until the 25th to answer to my claim on Paypal and since he's ceased contact with me, I suspect he will draw out the refund for as long as possible. But when I do get it, I have my eye on a flash from B&H.

The wedding is on the 3rd of April...

But as Steve said, I am in a bit of a fix at the moment, with around $100 disposable income to either rent or buy a flash. I can rent the AF540 for $65 for that weekend or I can buy the sigma for $99 use it and then re-sell it if needed.
03-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #131

silly question though Nicole? havent one of the sydney pentax guys got a decent flash you can borrow over that weekend? obviously with the you break it you replace it proviso

Steve
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Got it. It's tough to rent a flash if you're not familiar with it already as flash takes a bit of trial and error to know the camera & flash settings to use in various situations.
03-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Original Poster
None have offered Steve and I'd hate to ask.

Yep Twitch, I'm really just going to have to hope for the best. At least they do have that pro for 3 hours, so I don't has much pressure as before!
03-17-2011, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

Nicole, the control layout, power output and features are all different from each other, you have to have time to be familiar with the one you end up using to make sure you get the result you want, Flash photography got steep learning curve.

Tell you what, you can use mine for that weekend. Only problem is that I still need it for my friend's wedding tomorrow and I will be away next weekend so I won't be going to that model shoot you are organising, how are you going to collect it?
03-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you are able to loan me yours Eric, I am in the city on my Birthday, which is the 31st. Whereabouts do you work?

And of course if anything happened with it I'd replace it, but with a 50 as the 48 is too hard to find.