Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
Hi Nicole,
I used the "smart sharpen" tool in Photoshop. I have not used Lightroom myself, but I understand there is also a sharpening tool there. I found this tuturial on the web:
Understanding Sharpening In Lightroom | ishootshows.com

Another tool that I have tried and like is Focus Magic. It can be downloaded for trial purposes free of charge: Recover Detail and Sharpen Your Blurred Photos

I think there are also a lot of other tools that will work nicely.

Best regards,
Haakan

03-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #77
Inactive Account

Hi Nicole. Don't give up. I would have loved to have taken photos of my kids growing up that looked like yours but was unable to. Every shot is a memory regardless of outcome.
Practice and experimentation is always the key.
I had a quick play with my sister in laws KX indoors and found that changing the White Balance setting while indoors makes a huge difference to colour and detail.
Use your hubby as a Guinea Pig and take some close up shots of his face using the various WB settings and see which one gives you the most correct colour and detail, then move to your daughter.
A big help to using Lightroom is usually available through your local library - Look up Scott Kelby under Authors and see if they have any of his books on Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for Digital Photographers.
You Tube of course is another source of excellent info but at least with a book you can sit and read when you get 5 minutes to yourself.
Regards
Tony
03-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I quickly took this one of my eldest daughter, whilst she was napping with couch cushions on the floor. Just don't tell her it's here, will you? lol. Don't ask why, I've given up lol. She doesn't have a mohawk, she just has some Indie style that's all the rage... It was 800 f3.5 and 1/80

Last edited by NicoleAu; 08-20-2011 at 12:53 AM.
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Without the adjustment feature on the K-X you may have to send your camera and problem lens away to pentax to get it calibrated. Or , Im not sure but you could look at running your K-x in debug mode to make an adjustment?
Well thats good to know I was actually considering a K-x as a second/backup body to pick up, guess I'll be looking more towards the K-r/K7... does the k20D have fine tune?

03-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Well thats good to know I was actually considering a K-x as a second/backup body to pick up, guess I'll be looking more towards the K-r/K7... does the k20D have fine tune?
K-7 does
K20 does
K-r.... i dont know.
03-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nic

I always apply a sharpening filter to my shots in PP...if the images calls for it..
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Haakan Quote
Hi Nicole,
I read you shoot RAW. Usually in that case you need to apply some sharpening (to compensate for the anti-aliasing filter), so if you have not done that you may give it a try.

I tested it on your first posted image, and it seems to respond quite nicely to some sharpening (the sharpened on to the left, your original to the right).

In case you do not want me to post a processed version of you original, please let me know I and will remove it.

Best regards,
Haakan
thats a night and day difference...shows that a little PP goes a long way

03-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I so envy all those with a K5... K7 is getting cheaper now though, so I may have to save towards that.

Yeah I think I'll have to sharpen my photos a bit in post. I once heard that shooting in RAW you often have to adjust sharpness anyhow? Or is that misinformation?
03-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #84
Veteran Member

thanks, maybe dpreviews specs charts have the info for it.
03-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I so envy all those with a K5... K7 is getting cheaper now though, so I may have to save towards that.

Yeah I think I'll have to sharpen my photos a bit in post. I once heard that shooting in RAW you often have to adjust sharpness anyhow? Or is that misinformation?

Id stick with your Kx for now.....the K5 will be the same price as the K7 in 12 months time..as the new model will be released the current one will drop in price..

the image quality of the K7 is not better than the Kx....Id say it was worse ... particularly in low light High ISO
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote

From what I read, most RAW images need some sharpening. There is a quite nice overview of this in this article (the discussion of sharpening is in the second half of the article):
Photoshop | Kelvin Photographer

Best regards,
Håkan
03-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #87
Veteran Member

From what I read, most RAW images need some sharpening.
I agree, and if the focus is correct they sharpen up very well. But in my experience if the focus is incorrect and/or there is camera shape, they don't.

It is very easy to oversharpen - make sure there are no halos appearing along dark edges.
03-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #88
Veteran Member

From what I read, most RAW images need some sharpening. There is a quite nice overview of this in this article (the discussion of sharpening is in the second half of the article):
Photoshop | Kelvin Photographer

Best regards,
Håkan
that sure answers a lot for me too....I always shoot RAW. and always post sharpen my images due to softness that Nic has experienced..that article makes perfect sense to me , thanks for posting,,and I added some Rep for your trouble
03-12-2011, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is a good article on sharpening.

Guide to Image Sharpening

Richard.
03-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
that sure answers a lot for me too....I always shoot RAW. and always post sharpen my images due to softness that Nic has experienced..that article makes perfect sense to me , thanks for posting,,and I added some Rep for your trouble
Thank you,
I have myself received a lot of help from members of this forum, and I am happy if I can pass on some of the learnings.

Best regards,
Haakan