Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Otherwise I believe the focus can be adjusted globally by end user on Kx by getting into the debug menu, which involves a bit of hacking.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment

I followed the instructions, and it worked like a charm. I had to set my 18-55 kit lens to -10. Unfortunately you have to reset for each lens you want to use. Would be nice if they can fix it with a firmware update to allow one to preset more lenses

03-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment

I followed the instructions, and it worked like a charm. I had to set my 18-55 kit lens to -10. Unfortunately you have to reset for each lens you want to use. Would be nice if they can fix it with a firmware update to allow one to preset more lenses
It's easy to do, you just need to buy a K20, K-7 or K-5
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You offering to buy me a K5 Twitch? Awww How sweet! Could you also throw in that DA70 lens you have in there too?

I'm actually considering instead of getting that flash (In dispute with seller in paypal now grrr) of buying either the DA70 or the Tammy 90mm.
03-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Nic
What happened with the flash , I must have missed that?

03-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the Pentax guys to test it out at their workshop and it was definitely defective (I wasn't defective! lol) So I've sent it back. Seller said he has ordered a brand new one off Amazon, I checked Amazon and they haven't had any for sale for a while, nor does it look likely they'll be getting any more in. So I've put in a claim with Paypal to try and get a refund.
03-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
You offering to buy me a K5 Twitch? Awww How sweet! Could you also throw in that DA70 lens you have in there too?
Ha, sure, and maybe throw in the FA31 too?
QuoteQuote:
I'm actually considering instead of getting that flash (In dispute with seller in paypal now grrr) of buying either the DA70 or the Tammy 90mm.
Ouch, bummer about that flash being faulty. I've been hammering my Metz 48 lately and it's stood up really well, so if you can get a working one it should last you a long time.
03-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if you're offering...

Yeah I know it would be good, but after the Pentax Workshop I'm starting to hanker more for a longer prime... Although, you sending me that DA 70 would solve that issue hehe.

I'm in the meh stage about the wedding now, she's ended up booking a pro for 3 hours and she only wants candids at the reception. I'm half wondering if I can get away with just the FA50 and maybe hiring a flash.

03-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #113
Veteran Member

From what I've seen make sure to shadow the "Pro" and snap a few shots of their similar composition if you can.. I've seen some so called pro's shots that look like they were taken with a cell phone! Taking Candids at weddings is more challenging to get the great shots. Anyone can setup and tell people how to pose and where to stand blah blah blah. If you capture those few precious candids I'm sure you will be more than happy with the shoot, and they will wish you took more. Time sure flies, so bring extra batteries and memory sticks, letter fly! Hammer off 2000 pics As for the flash, I hope you can rent or borrow one if you can't get things settled. I ordered a Metz 58 AF-2 and can't wait for it to arrive. Much cheaper full P-TTL with tilt/swivel than the pentax 540.

Oh yeah, if the "Pro" shooting gives you the gears of shadowing around and grabbing shots it usually means the shooter isn't that confident in their shooting IMO. The only way I wouldn't shadow is if the pro had a second shooter with them. It's not like there's a second chance to get all those shots!
03-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #114
Veteran Member

what flash did you end up with Nic ?..the faulty one i mean
03-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'm tossing up between still getting the Metz flash or a new prime. But thinking realistically, I have the FA 50 and at this stage if I need anything longer I can use the Tammy, although it won't be as fast.

It was a Metz 48 Tommo, here's the listing - Metz 48 AF-1 Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax / Samsung Digi (eBay item 370480719854 end time 22-Feb-11 07:55:12 AEDST) : Cameras Photo

I haven't left any feedback for him yet, I won't be until this all gets resolved. I sent him an email 2 days ago requesting a full refund and have had no response, so it has been escalated to a claim through paypal.

In 8 years of using ebay, this is the first real dud I've bought from there.

Chex, I have messaged the photographer and introduced myself, she knows I will be shooting candids on the day. I look forward to meeting her, she does gorgeous work I will definitely be watching her as well to see what she does I think she does have an assistant as well.
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Well thats good to hear that she has a second shooter and that you've already been in contact with her. Hope the shooting goes well!
03-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Nic
just saw you thread about the Metz ...bummer mate thats for sure....hope it works out for you

as a side note..I just bought a used Sigma Ef 500 DG super for $95au delivered ....now I have three hot shoe flashes ready for my mini studio...if you was in Perth Id lend you one no probs...pity that Australia is so big really aint it !
03-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lucky buy Tommo!

Yeah, the seller has until the 25th to respond and if they don't, I think I get a full refund. The seller stopped messaging me when I asked him how he could've ordered me the metz 48 on Amazon when it wasn't available? He seemed to genuinely want to help before then
03-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #119
Veteran Member

it shits me when people get stung mate....takes the shine right off what should have been a good experience for you...

not sure what those sigma 500's go for..but I saw on it on ebay and thought Id give it a shot..might be a piece of crap ...dunno yet it aint turned up..LOL

anyway back to topic.

hows the soft images now...the sharpening that Raw files need was a revelation for me ..did you know about that..or were yours shot as Jpegs ?
03-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the Sigma Supers are better than the normal ones, more options on them anyhow. I should maybe look on ebay for those. The seller has until the 25th to respond to my refund claim, I'm so, so glad I sent it back via registered post. The wedding is on the 3rd, so I am definitely going to have to get something cheap to tide me over until then, my budget is a whopping $100, not including any birthday money my fam decide to donate lol!

I started shooting RAW back in September and could never figure out why or how the pros got the sharp images that they did. Occasionally I got the super sharp ones, but that was more luck than anything. It's more the eyes that the pros have on their sites, those super sharp ones and I was always trying to work out how to do it like they did. But as I said, when I did, it was mainly luck lol. I think along with making sure I try and focus better, I will also be added a bit more pp to my work, where it needs it.

It's funny, but before getting a dSLR, I never realised just how much work goes into photography. All you see a tog do is seemingly click their shutter.

Oh and here's the finished shots of my friends baby I did. I know some aren't the greatest and there are no cute hats nor other paraphernalia involved, but she seems pretty happy with them http://nicolewells.smugmug.com/Portraits/Kade2011/16227786_4h9sc

Last edited by NicoleAu; 03-17-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added link