Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lens question

Hi there!

I've delayed my holidays to Europe from January to June, so it give me more time to play with my K-7. Since I would visit mostly churches, castles and museums where light is very rare to find, I realize that I need a better lens than the kit one.
So, DA* 16-50 mm f/2.8 sounds a very good option to me, but I get confuse since there are a lot of controversy around the SMD system (I quite sure that there is a thread somewhere here but I couldn’t fine them).
Question is: DA*16-50 is worth what it cost? or Are there another lenses options for the pictures that I will shot?
Thank you very much for your help

Regards

03-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Best option, I think, is the DA 12-24.
03-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ogion Quote
Hi there!

I've delayed my holidays to Europe from January to June, so it give me more time to play with my K-7. Since I would visit mostly churches, castles and museums where light is very rare to find, I realize that I need a better lens than the kit one.
So, DA* 16-50 mm f/2.8 sounds a very good option to me, but I get confuse since there are a lot of controversy around the SMD system (I quite sure that there is a thread somewhere here but I couldn’t fine them).
Question is: DA*16-50 is worth what it cost? or Are there another lenses options for the pictures that I will shot?

Regards

Here's one thread:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/107057-another...m-f-2-8-a.html

DA* 16-50mm would probably be my next purchase (unless eBay seduces me with another lens offer I can't refuse)
Have you looked at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8?
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Best option, I think, is the DA 12-24.
Ditto

03-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi there!

Regards

Hi, I have a K-7 and made lots (>50k) photo's with it with a DA*16-50mm.
It is a great lens.
However, going to visit churches and the like, I'd strongly advise you to also look at wider lenses.
If you'd consider the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, it is cheaper and then you might be able to afford a 10-20mm or something like it.
In churches and small squares you need wider lenses than 16mm.

One of many possible examples (taken at 10mm!):

I consider the 16-50mm worth the cost, it is weather sealed and stopped down 1 stop sharp all over.
However, if you do not need the environment sealing, the Sigma is tempting, much cheaper and it has great reviews. One of the best lenses Sigma ever built.

Have a nice trip.

- Bert (living near to some of that old European stuff)
03-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For buildings wider is better. One thought. For a bit more than an extra $100 over the Pentax 16-50 you can get a Tamron 17-50 and a Sigma 10-20. I tried the 16-50 and sent it back, settling on the Tamron. It isn't weather sealed but a good copy is at least as good optically as the Pentax, I think better. And it has simpler barrel distortion on the wide end, which is easier to correct. For buildings that's good.

If I were only going to carry one lens it would be the Pentax 17-70. That extra length is great for people shots. And it is also at least as good optically as the 16-50.
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Hi, I have a K-7 and made lots (>50k) photo's with it with a DA*16-50mm.
It is a great lens.
However, going to visit churches and the like, I'd strongly advise you to also look at wider lenses.
If you'd consider the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, it is cheaper and then you might be able to afford a 10-20mm or something like it.
In churches and small squares you need wider lenses than 16mm.

One of many possible examples (taken at 10mm!):

I consider the 16-50mm worth the cost, it is weather sealed and stopped down 1 stop sharp all over.
However, if you do not need the environment sealing, the Sigma is tempting, much cheaper and it has great reviews. One of the best lenses Sigma ever built.

Have a nice trip.

- Bert (living near to some of that old European stuff)
Very nice shot! What settings did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

03-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for your help, but........I've more questions.
I won't carry a tripod and that's the reason why I'm afraid of low light conditions.
Ron Kruger and Wlachan suggestion is DA 12-24, but it stops down at f/4 Do you think it will works?
Bymy one of your suggestions is Sigma 10-20, but it stops down at 4.5 Is it works at low light?. By the why, your picture is impressive I would like to know the setting too.
Weather sealed condition is more than a nice to have to me because I'm a mountaineering/climbing guy.
Thanks again to every one!
Regards
03-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A mountaineering climbing guy should possibly be looking at the pancake primes. Nice and light, don't take a lot of room in your pack. Another hiking climbing guy in another thread suggested it. He claimed taking two pancakes meant he could go a lot further, as opposed to taking heavier lenses.
03-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A mountaineering climbing guy should possibly be looking at the pancake primes. Nice and light, don't take a lot of room in your pack. Another hiking climbing guy in another thread suggested it. He claimed taking two pancakes meant he could go a lot further, as opposed to taking heavier lenses.
You are right, but carrying more than one lens with different length focal length means that at certain moment a switch between then must be done.....and most of the time weather conditions are not right for such a task, so I prefer to attach a zoon and forget about that. But it depends on every one, others like you have already mentioned tent to carry more than one lens

Thank you anyway!
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the sigma 10-20 (F4-5.6 version) quite a lot in church interiors. There are many times when you need all of the 10mm field of view.

I would also recommend a second lens, going to at least 50mm for other details, where you don;t need the whole FOV. Specifically if you want to capture single images, frescoes etc, where the need to frame as close to maximum sensor frame is useful.

my longer lens is a tamron 28-75F2.8 bit that is just my kit, a 16/17-50 should do well for church interiors where ultimate wide angle is not needed.

the extra F stop will also help.

Shake reduction and pushing the ISO are also useful in church interiors
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've taken a limited number of photos inside churches and similar large buildings. You generally need a tripod, or at least will produce better pictures with a tripod, and once you've accepted that, lens speed doesn't matter much. Particularly with a K7, you aren't going to be able to use high ISO.

Paul
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Ogion,
Try this. Go to my webshots albums from our recent trip to Europe and look for pictures like you imagine you will be taking. When you look at the individual pictures, you can scroll down and see what the exposures were and most of the exif info. Be aware there were three cameras taking pictures, my wife's K200D, my Mother in law's Optio W60, and my K10D. Your K7 should be at least as capable as these models in reduced lighting. You can also go further back in time and see albums from Greece and Italy.
The link to my albums is:
briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots
Just in case it gets messed up, you may need to "Sort By" "Newest First"
The album names are:
9-19-2010 Munich
9-20-2010 Munich to Prague
9-21-2010 Prague
9-22-2010 Bratislava / Budapest
9-23-2010 Budapest
9-24-2010 Vienna
9-25-2010 Vienna
9-26-2010 Danube / St.Gilgen / Salzburg
9-27-2010 Berchtesgaden (Hitler's Eagle's Nest) / Salzburg / Oberammagau
9-28-2010 Oberammagau
9-29-2010 Oberammagau / Dachau (Concentration Camp) / Munich HBH (Hoffbrau House)
03-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Ogion,
Try this. Go to my webshots albums from our recent trip to Europe and look for pictures like you imagine you will be taking. When you look at the individual pictures, you can scroll down and see what the exposures were and most of the exif info. Be aware there were three cameras taking pictures, my wife's K200D, my Mother in law's Optio W60, and my K10D. Your K7 should be at least as capable as these models in reduced lighting. You can also go further back in time and see albums from Greece and Italy.
The link to my albums is:
briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots
Just in case it gets messed up, you may need to "Sort By" "Newest First"
The album names are:
9-19-2010 Munich
9-20-2010 Munich to Prague
9-21-2010 Prague
9-22-2010 Bratislava / Budapest
9-23-2010 Budapest
9-24-2010 Vienna
9-25-2010 Vienna
9-26-2010 Danube / St.Gilgen / Salzburg
9-27-2010 Berchtesgaden (Hitler's Eagle's Nest) / Salzburg / Oberammagau
9-28-2010 Oberammagau
9-29-2010 Oberammagau / Dachau (Concentration Camp) / Munich HBH (Hoffbrau House)

Calicojack
Thank you very much, your pictures help me a lot. From the exif info I guess that you had used the kit lens most of the time, I mean 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, the same one that I've attached to my K-7 Am I right?
By the way I'll visit Prague too.
Thank you.

Regards

03-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Calicojack
Thank you very much, your pictures help me a lot. From the exif info I guess that you had used the kit lens most of the time, I mean 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, the same one that I've attached to my K-7 Am I right?
By the way I'll visit Prague too.
Thank you.

Regards

Usually, my wife uses a DA18-55WR on her K200D. I use a Sigma 17-70 on my K10D. My wife also had her DA55-300 and I had my DA*50-135 (but rarely used it). There were no tripods used for any of the photos.

Prague is BEAUTIFUL.