Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Question about "Battery Type" Menu Option on K-x

Probably a dumb question - but: I rotate 2 sets of Ni-MH batteries (unfortunately not Eneloop :-( ) thru my K-x, and only use lithium or alkaline if I run down one set before I can charge the other. I have been keeping the "Battery Type" menu option set to "auto detect", just in case that happens. But:
1) I assume this setting is there for a reason, and it is better if I set it to reflect what I am actually using (in other words, should set it to "NiMH")? Or else, what is the point of having the setting at all?
2) If I do set this to "Ni-MH", and then I have to put in a set of alkaline/lithium, and I forget to change the menu option - how big a problem is this?
Thanks.

03-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Forum Member

I would guess it would have to do with the battery meter being more accurate. NiMh batteries are 1.25 volts versus alkaline which are 1.5.
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1st of all did you upgrade the firmware? do that first and just make sure you have it set to whatever type of batteries you have in it.
I actually thought of using Eneloops for a while but that is before I actually had a chance of owning the camera for a while and only using Energizer max 8x lithium batteries, these things seem to last forever, I like them enough that I am to the point where I just use them exclusively and when I change them out I just buy another set for back ups, at Sams club I found them at 16 batteries for $20, not bad for batteries that last virtually forever.
I really like having the AA option in this little camera, it might eat up batteries fast but I think back to my ME Super film camera with the motor drive on it and I never got nearly as many images with that like I do with my K-x.
Try the lithiums I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I actually thought of using Eneloops for a while but that is before I actually had a chance of owning the camera for a while and only using Energizer max 8x lithium batteries, these things seem to last forever, I like them enough that I am to the point where I just use them exclusively and when I change them out I just buy another set for back ups, at Sams club I found them at 16 batteries for $20, not bad for batteries that last virtually forever.
I really like having the AA option in this little camera, it might eat up batteries fast but I think back to my ME Super film camera with the motor drive on it and I never got nearly as many images with that like I do with my K-x.
Try the lithiums I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I'm exactly the same with this, putting aside any cost comparisons taken to the tenth decimal point.

Those 8X lithiums last me forever on my K-x, especially since I'm using manual focus lenses where battery power isn't expended for that. And I don't have to deal with charging, and worrying about whether I'm properly charged.

There's a lot of talk here about cost savings regarding the Eneloops and other rechargeables, but not one person has ever mentioned your home electrical cost for this--as if charging your Eneloops from home was "free."

I'm not saying it isn't cheaper, but how much cheaper is it really when you take everything into account, and when you balance in convenience?

03-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
Probably a dumb question - but: I rotate 2 sets of Ni-MH batteries (unfortunately not Eneloop :-( ) thru my K-x, and only use lithium or alkaline if I run down one set before I can charge the other. I have been keeping the "Battery Type" menu option set to "auto detect", just in case that happens. But:
1) I assume this setting is there for a reason, and it is better if I set it to reflect what I am actually using (in other words, should set it to "NiMH")? Or else, what is the point of having the setting at all?
2) If I do set this to "Ni-MH", and then I have to put in a set of alkaline/lithium, and I forget to change the menu option - how big a problem is this?
Thanks.
Battery type selection is basically for the accuracy of the battery level indicator. It is actually noted on page 254 of the K-x manual. For the “Auto-Detect” setting, different types (NiMH, Lithium, and Alkaline) all have different “Start Voltage” and “Discharge Curve” before reaching their Cut-Off Voltage (considered drained.). I’m guessing measuring SV and DC is how the camera will determine what type of battery is installed. As you may already know, the issue of battery level indicator inaccuracy was corrected with firmware 1.01
03-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
There's a lot of talk here about cost savings regarding the Eneloops and other rechargeables, but not one person has ever mentioned your home electrical cost for this--as if charging your Eneloops from home was "free."
My charger uses around 20 watts. So the cost of recharging 4 AA Eneloops will be under 2p. It's not free but it's not worth bothering about.

QuoteQuote:
I'm not saying it isn't cheaper, but how much cheaper is it really when you take everything into account, and when you balance in convenience?
You have to take a lot of photos to offset the cost of the charger and batteries, and I don't know where the break-even point is. A benefit of using a standard format is that I also use the charger for my GPS, my toothbrush, my shaver, etc, so the cost should be amortised across all those things.

It's a lot less inconvenient with Eneloops (or other low-self-discharge brands) than with previous rechargeables, because they hold their charge. You can have one set in the camera and another set on stand-by, and the stand-by set will hold their charge well. You don't have to recharge them a few days before you use them.

On the other hand, being able to recharge them when you want, means you don't have to worry about going into the field with batteries close to dead. With non-rechargeable, you either risk missing a shot because the battery died at the wrong moment, or else stop using them a while before they die. When they do die, you don't have the inconvenience of having to buy more.

Basically, I'm not sure if Eneloops are cheaper for me, but I prefer them anyway.