Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Pentax K-x with Sigma lens HELP!

Hi! I am brand new to the DSLR world. I bought the Pentax K-x last week because I am working on my degree in Graphic Design and I have a photography class coming up where we have to have a DSLR. I have played with it a bit, but mostly stuck to auto mode thus far.

Anyways, to cut to the chase, I know NOTHING about DSLR at all. I designed a logo for a friend of a friend and in exchange he gave me this lens. It is a Sigma C302 52mm. He assured me that it has the right mount and that it would work. So I got it in the mail today and of course was excited, so I put it on. It fit and after some searching on here, I figured out the settings to make it work because it's a manual focus lens.

The problem (other than having no clue what I am doing!) is that now the lens won't come off!!!! I am pressing the release button the same as I did a few hours ago to take the kit lens off.... What's wrong? Please tell me I am just a blonde and not that I just messed up a brand new camera and lens?!?!?!

03-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Original Poster
Hmmm.... I got the C302 off of the sticker still on the lens cap.... from the front of the lens

Sigma zoom-master 1:28-4 F=35 - 70mm multi-coated 52

I don't even know what a filter is, so I don't know if there is a filter.

Oh and thanks for the quick reply!!!
03-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Sigma at one time produced some lenses for ricoh cameras, which will fit Pentax, but have a pin that interferes with removal of the lens... the lens will likely say kpr somewhere on it if this is the case.

The lens can be removed if that's the problem, but it can be tricky. Have a look at this link for instructions.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-righ...ens-stuck.html

Cheers.
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Did you happen to notice if the lens was marked PK/R? If yes you may be stuck on the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". Search the forum for any of several Lens is stuck or Ricoh Pin threads.
Otherwise, Be sure that you are fully depressing the release button, turning the lens counter-clockwise (if you're looking at the lens cap from the front), and using enough force (shouldn't be too much but no need to baby it either).
Good Luck
Brian T

03-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Did you happen to notice if the lens was marked PK/R? If yes you may be stuck on the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". Search the forum for any of several Lens is stuck or Ricoh Pin threads.
Otherwise, Be sure that you are fully depressing the release button, turning the lens counter-clockwise (if you're looking at the lens cap from the front), and using enough force (shouldn't be too much but no need to baby it either).
Good Luck
Brian T

Oh my, thank you!!!! It was not that other lens, but I wasn't using enough force apparently! Whew. I was so scared to break it.
03-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gotmeanick Quote
Oh my, thank you!!!! It was not that other lens, but I wasn't using enough force apparently! Whew. I was so scared to break it.
It is good to see others that are taking a Graphic Design course, I too am taking one at Art Institute and am almost done with my Digital Design Diploma, I too have a K-x but I have been into photography as a hobby all my life so it really does help to have a grasp of the essentials of photography, I even got a DVD that came with my new camera on digital photography basics, actually it was pretty handy I actually learned a few things from it. Look around for a DVD like that, you will be amazed at how it helps you out, also look around for some basic photography tutorials, I found many good ones even on You Tube.
Having a basic knowledge of photography while you are in Graphic Design class is a must in my opinion, I learned that in Photoshop a basic all around knowledge of photography really is beneficial to the learning process.
I post process most all of my images in Camera Raw and then open them up in Photoshop and basically have fun in there with my images, you too will have a blast once you learn photography, it will really grab you.
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Suggestion to the OP: If you are as inexperienced as you say and using full automatic mode, I strongly suggest you stay with the kit lens and not fool around with a manual lens. After you are more familiar with the camera and photography in general, you can move on to more complicated processes but for now you should keep it as simple as possible. The kit lens that comes with the KX will take perfectly acceptable photos for a beginner. Learn the camera and how to take pictures then move up. MHO.