Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi - really sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this thread!!! I was out of the house all day yesterday (Wales rugby game) and for some reason I can't post from my phone - it said I was a spammer when I tried to register from it.

In retrospect, I can see why some people it was strange asking Pentax afficiandos to convince me. At the end of the day though, I'm very new to photography, £500 is a lot of money for me and I'm in a camera class of 12 people where everyone else has a Canikon!!!

The more people I hear extol the virtues of the k-r, the more confident I am about going that route.

I am going back to my local camera shop in West Wales next week and I'm hoping he's got k-r's in (they're on order). If it's there I'll give it a go, but I dunno, I just feel Pentax is the way I want to go. There's no real insightful reason why - I don't have the knowledge or skills for that! I think the battery flexibility may well swing it for me, because I know I'll be fretting about charging if I do trips like the ones I did a few years back (on buses with limited charging opportunities).

Thank you so much for the replies and useful information - it's very much appreciated. Looking forward to perusing this forum more in the future.

Si

03-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No worries. Good luck shopping, and I hope we'll be seeing you around.

(Oh. As for the phone posting, there may be a way to fix that. I've seen phone posts from others. It could be there was spam from your service before. Or maybe cause you haven't posted a lot yet. Anyway, there may be some way to remedy that. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-13-2011 at 10:23 AM.
03-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

As Ratmagiclady said and I will echo it again...with going Pentax, you get a to be with a community of friendly, helpful and close Pentax forum family.
You probably would not get any more people as helpful and as friendly as this one!
I'm glad I went Pentax, with this great Pentax community as a bonus!
03-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
As Ratmagiclady said and I will echo it again...with going Pentax, you get a to be with a community of friendly, helpful and close Pentax forum family.
You probably would not get any more people as helpful and as friendly as this one!
I'm glad I went Pentax, with this great Pentax community as a bonus!
Ditto!

You do have another problem to consider......which color?

03-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Personally, I think 720p is way enough for everyday consumer. What I mean not everyday consumer are those watch video on huge projector screen.

What I care more about video mode is its function which pentax dslr still lack. Almost no manual operation for video shooting. I wonder if d3100 has more video feature. I think this is what you need check out.

Tell you I would choose a dslr only shoot at 480p but can do all kind manual stuff, ISO, aperture, shuttler speed and even better with auto focus, than a dslr can shoot 1080p but no any manual control and autofocus. This is just me perhaps. but this is my suggestion for you. see if you care function more than resoulution or the opposed.

Last edited by liukaitc; 03-13-2011 at 10:49 AM.
03-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #36
Forum Member

When I was making this choice (K5 vs. D7000 vs. 7D), I really looked aside from technical stuff.

I figured, none of the companies would make any camera any bad - they have too much to risk. With my - rather limited - photography abilities it would be my fault rather than of a camera, if the photos are bad.

So I looked for other reasons. What drove me to Pentax?

1) Aesthetics. I just love the way K5 looks (compared to the others mentioned above). Small, sleek, unobtrusive.

2) Ergonomics. It just lies perfectly in your hand. Learning to use the controls is brisk and operation afterwards is instantly intuitive.

3) Uniqueness. Pentax has this something special, that neither Canon or Nikon have on offer. It's a niche thing. And since I like to stand out a bit I chose Pentax.

Just do a small test. Take a hike in your favourite park/ city square on a nice weekend day and observe all those people with their cameras dangling around their necks. You will only get a nice smile/ friendly grin from the other Pentax users. To me it is value.

4) This forum. It stands out clearly compared to mainstream Nikon/ Canon forums. I researched them (and here) before buying my stuff. This place suffers the least from "us vs. all others" syndrome. And has the highest merit/fluff ratio among the fora I viewed. Again - value to me.

Well then, once all rational arguments have passed by, and you've researched all those ISO/ HD vid/ lenses/ blah parameters, consider the irrational stuff. There lies the answer to many a dilemma

Last edited by maciek_w; 03-13-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: as usual - typos
03-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the latest replies!

The colour issue won't come up, because the guy in the shop will only get black in! I'm happy with that, though if there was a silver one, I could have been tempted by that.

It's a great shop btw and I'm pleased to be supporting an independent.

03-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Black is the way to go. Mine is white, which is pretty slick, but my next camera will most definitely be black ... and it will be a K5.
03-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was in a similar dilemma few weeks back except that the candidates were K-x, D3100 and Canon 500D. I chose to go with Pentax because of ergonomics, VFM, in-body stabilization, high-ISO performance, ability to use old glass.

I have written a small article on my website about the same, you may want to have a look at it - RonakG.in | Why did I choose Pentax K-x over Canon 500D and Nikon D3100?.
03-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
I think the battery flexibility may well swing it for me, because I know I'll be fretting about charging if I do trips like the ones I did a few years back (on buses with limited charging opportunities).
Remember to get the AA battery adapter then. It's not included.

Regards,
--Anders.
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
Convince me to go Pentax!
This is really something only you can decide, I can assure that both systems have their own merits, as others have already suggested.

For my two cents, get a system that suits your needs for now and the foreseeable future.
03-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

The PENTAX K system has a cult-like following for several unique reasons:
  • High-performance Limited lenses with optical quality comparable to Zeiss and Leica, but with autofocus
  • Exclusive shooting modes like Sv and TAv not found on Canon, Nikon, or any other brand cameras
  • Complete compatibility with virtually all K-mount lenses as well as M42, 645 and 67 glass through official—and still-in-production—adapters (as PENTAX always says, "compatible with every PENTAX lens ever made")
  • Superb, often class-leading performance in recent models - high ISO performance, dynamic range (K-5), burst shooting speed
  • A long legacy of environmentally sealed, well-built cameras and lenses
While you should always consider other systems as well, these are the unique features of the K system. The Nikon, Canon EOS, and Sony α (alpha) systems all have their own unique features as well—for example, quiet SWMs on many Nikon lenses (even kit lenses), DEP and A-DEP on Canon EOS cameras, and groundbreaking Translucent Mirror Technology in new Sony α models.

--DragonLord