Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Convince me to go Pentax!

Hi all

This looks an information packed set of forums!

I'm new to dSLR photography and have been doing a course in the evenings for a few weeks recently.

I'm going to buy my first dSLR in a couple of weeks and it'll either be the Nikon d3100 or the Pentax k-r.

I'm thinking of the latter, primarily because of its battery flexibility - I've done a few holidays in the past where access to charging sockets has been very limited.

The only area where the Nikon really seems to score is the ease and quality of its HD video. I can't see me using this to a huge extent really

Basically, I'm still a bit undecided and wondered if anyone could reassure me that I'm making a really good choice if I go for the Pentax!

Any info gratefully received!

Si

03-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a Pentax forum. Are you expecting many "buy Nikon" answers?

You should look in camera database for features you might like, and the threads dedicated to them and specific series of lenses, such as FA Limited, DA Limited (for nice primes) to see if you like the results.

Also compare prices between the brands of the first 3 or 5 lenses you want. Sometimes those are the decision makers.
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
Convince me to go Pentax!

Nope, I'm happy with Pentax and I don't feel the need to try and convince you to buy one. If you do then good choice .. if not then I hope you will be happy with which ever brand you decide to purchase.
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No need to convince you to go for the k-r, if you have done enough homework and seem to know what you are doing - and you will make the right choice. Check the ergonomics and controls, check the picture quality and check the lenses. Just by thinking that it is a safe choice because most people wear them on their neck is a pretty lame excuse.

03-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Do I get a commission if I convince you?
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax lenses have some qualities that set them apart from Nikon that can be of especial importance to a beginner.
Pentax's flare resistance, for example, will often make a picture possible where other lenses will show enough flare to ruin the image.
I don't worry much about bodies, it's lenses that take pictures.
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't worry much about bodies, it's lenses that take pictures.
It's photographers that take pictures!

The Pentax K-r, in the sensor and processor department, is that same camera as the Pentax K-x, which is widely agreed to have the best low light (high ISO) performance of any camera in it's price bracket, and I'm certainly sure it'll match the D3100's image quality in the lower ISO too.

Either way, you're getting a great camera. So don't worry about the differences too much, just buy one, and enjoy the wonderful world of Digital SLR photography!

-Best!

Last edited by Pentax Convert; 03-11-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo.
03-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I had my reason for buying Pentax, I don't need to provide you with any. We don't need any more people complaining about how they wished they bought another system. Go buy a Canikon.

03-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No point in covincing in the end it is your decision as long as you do your research then your choice is justified. No need for other people to agree or disagree. That is for the people who don't make choices.
03-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

It seems to be a touchy subject for some.

Pentax appears to dominate at the entry level for DSLR bodies. Having said that I have noticed my friends' Nikon and Canon bodies appear to focus a little more quickly and accurately.

One of the key reasons for buying a DSLR is to buy additional lenses and Pentax have some great compact prime lenses, albeit a little bit on the expensive side. IMHO the DA limited lenses are a great balance of size, build quality, optics and price.

DA 15mm F4 limited - $500

DA 40mm F2.8 limited - $340

DA 70mm F2.4 limited - $550

However keep in mind that if size is of little importance to you Nikon and Canon probably offer a better range of lenses with much lower prices, lower build quality, wider apertures and slightly inferior optics.

eg. Nikkor 50mm F1.8 $120, 85mm f1.8 $400, 35mm 1.8 DX $195.

I am with Pentax because I love being able to stick my K-x with the FA43 in my pocket and head out the door. I don't know that you can the same size convenience and quality with canikon.

Last edited by heasley; 03-11-2011 at 05:32 PM.
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

If I were you I would look into what kind of lenses you can use on that Nikon. Then look at the lenses you can use on the Pentax. I've already paid my money to own the Pentax, they are not paying me to advertise for them, so that's about as far as I'm going to go. Compare the two, decide what is most important for you and go that way. Then be happy with your choice.

03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

When I decided to replace my damaged Fuji S9100 with a DSLR a year ago,
I didn't have any preference/opinion of any camera manufacturer.

I bought a Pentax without even comparing others brands in the store,
choosing a K-x simply because I prefered using AA batteries.

Only after I discovered this forum, read about ergonomics
that I now pick up Canon/Nikon entry level equivalents when
at camera stores, and appreciate my Pentax even more.

For an entry level DSLR, the K-x / K-r are a great value,
as mentionned in other posts, low-light performance
and image quality is at par or better than some more expensive competitors.

Autofocus speed is perhaps not Pentax's 'forte' but unless for sports photography
you can work around it, making you a better photographer.

Buy a K-r, save your money for nice lenses and accessories (external flash, card etc.)

Michel
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
It's photographers that take pictures!
Actually, photographers aim cameras.
03-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Man, convince you? All brands have advantages and disadvantages. You've done your research. It's hard to buy a current model SLR that doesn't take good photos. Canon and Nikon are much easier to get accessories and lenses for, service, too. The new Sony's are great for video. Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras are very portable. Pentax's have better build quality. Sony, Olympus and Pentax cameras have built in shake reduction, which makes lenses less expensive. At one time or other I've wished that I had another make, but when push comes to shove, I stick with Pentax. I'm sure you'll find others who say the same about their brand.
03-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I was in the exact same boat just a couple weeks ago. I had pretty much decided on the D3100. But then Woot! had a great deal on the K-x and that opened my eyes to Pentax and I started doing some research.

I found that when comparing sample images, the Pentax K-x and K-r image quality looked better to my eyes. I liked some of the higher level dSLR features that are available on the K-r but not the Nikon, especially the DOF preview. I also felt the better higher ISO performance made it a much more versatile camera.

Being able to have so many "vintage" lenses at your disposal was icing on the cake.

In the end, the K-r won out because I preferred the way the images looked. After all, cameras are for taking great photos. I'm sure the Nikon is a great camera and you probably wouldn't go wrong with either one. But I'm really happy so far with my decision.