Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

MX information

I am interested in an MX for a film camera strictly because of what I read about it having a large viewfinder. I have an ME Super (which I like) and a K10D and would like a film camera with a bigger viewfinder than the Super since I shoot with eyeglasses.

I realize the MX is a totally manual camera with the aperture and shutter speeds set by the operator. What I don't understand, in reading about the MX, is the reference to the meter. If the camera is totally manual, is there still a light meter, and if so, what is its function? Does the camera tell the operator when he has/has not chosen a proper combination of shutter speed and aperture?

Would the MX viewfinder be much of an improvement over the ME Super regarding shooting with eyeglasses? I though about an LX but the cost is not feasible for no more film than I shoot.

All suggestions will be appreciated, and justly compensated.

03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reviews here might help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...pentax-mx.html

In my opinion, the MX's viewfinder is too big. Your eyes always end up hurting if you try looking at the corners or edges! I much prefer the ME Super or Super Program, for that matter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have read that, as well as several other threads/posts/reviews and I think I found my answer in some old threads. Thanks!
03-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The specs on the viewfinder are better than your ME Super. I would call them the same if I had them side by side and did not know which one was supposed to be better. The prism in the MX is coated with platinum for one extra over-the-top feature.

The meter looks much like the shutter speeed dial, a partial circle of clear plastic with black shutter speed markings. It's on the right side of the VF. Turn the shutter speed knob and the indicator turns. The meter indication is LEDs that turn green when the meter thinks the exposure is correct and yellow if you're off. I think there are three, giving you an idea of what direction the correct exposure is if you're not there yet, but I don't have batteries in mine at the moment. Since it was a while ago, the LEDs can be overpowered in bright light. (People my age can remember this as a problem; it's hard to imagine how improved LEDs are now.) The only settings offered by the MX are shutter speed, film speed and the aperture ring on your lens.

03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Dave,

I found an instruction manual in the archives and learned a lot, along with other replies.

I can relate to "People my age..."