Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #1

beginners problems

Hoping someone can tell me what im doing wrong .
everytime i take a picture and view it on the screen all the white sections of the picture are flashing red,can some tell me what im doing wrong ?.
Many thanks

03-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Lab

Photos: Gallery
Not sure I can help you but it may help if you provide details as to the model and the settings on the camera.
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kitcarson1957 Quote
Hoping someone can tell me what im doing wrong .
everytime i take a picture and view it on the screen all the white sections of the picture are flashing red,can some tell me what im doing wrong ?.
Many thanks
That's a feature which can be turned off: all the flashing red areas are for is to tell you where the camera's computer believes you've blown out your highlights. Which camera model? It's just a matter of a menu setting if you don't want it.

What that feature is trying to *tell* you is something about exposure. If the flashing red areas are encompassing your subject, that means they're overexposed beyond the camera's ability to capture images. You'll see it the most when you have parts of your image which are getting a lot more light than other parts.
03-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right- the red is just an indication, it won't show up on your PC.

If you see red, though, it's a very good idea to re-shoot your photo. Most overexposed JPEG's can't be fixed, so unless you're shooting in RAW, definitely try to minimize the red.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

With the possible exception of overexposing, you're doing nothing wrong. Shut those Blinkies off. Even if you've exposed properly in some cases, they will annoy the hell out of you (or at least they do me). When you can see Texture in your whites (unless your subject is completely flat and white) you're close to proper. This will typically come at a cost to shadow detail however. Depending on the camera, you may be able to recover that in post processing. Maybe that's too much information for now but it's something to aim at.

03-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I leave the red blinkies on because I find it useful to get the warning. I get them the most when I have some bright sky or reflections off bright surfaces. If there genuinely are some blown highlights, you can dial in a little negative ev (-.3 to -1, say) to bring it down a bit.

Richard.
03-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like the blinkies, except that if they only cover a small percentage of the images, they're difficult to see. You really shouldn't have a large percentage of the image blinking in typical images, because you don't want large areas with no detail.

Paul
03-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
beginner

Thanks for all your replies .all very helpful .have tried reducing the AV on my camera and it works .sorry i didnt mention what make my camera was .(pentax Kr) Still learning but looking forward to joining this forum.picked up lots of tips just reading through .
many thanks
Ron

03-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If your AV is set to a negative value, be careful you don't overexpose other images. What exposure mode are you using? Av? Tv? Manual? Over on Flickr I see no end of incorrectly exposed images done using manual... The camera gets it right most of the time, using Av or Tv plus judicious EV compensation (and the LCD playback gives you the clues you need) will get a good exposure in just about any conditions.
03-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the blinkies--that and the histogram are the most valuable functions of the lcd, afaic. Managing exposure is one of the basic (and chronic) challenges of photography. Your camera gives you a variety of tools to that end. Do some research and a lot of experimentation--it's what noobs have to do ;~)