Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 and continuous focus

Hi.
Yesterday i made some shots of a person running towards me. I had problem getting focused as the person were coming nearer and nearer to me. In the beginning it was OK, but the camera got more and more problem to fokus the nearer the person came to me.
I tried out the focus switch at both AF.S and C. The camera was also set to take shots in series.
The manual do not mention much about this subject.
What coult Ive done wrong
I would be most grateful for helping advice

03-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you point on something that's contrasty, and make sure there's a good deal of ambient light. The K-7's AF system isn't as good at continuous AF as the K-5, though, so some of the problems may be attributed to the body itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another point is that continuous autofocus has more problems with subjects coming straight at you than those moving at an angle. Also as subjects get closer a smaller mis-focus will have a more noticeable effect. The difference between 25 and 30 feet is a much smaller percentage than the difference between 10 and 15.
03-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

You have to stick to AF.C for moving subjects.

As Adam said: Sufficient contrast and light is the key.

In AF.C and continuous shooting the camera will fire as fast as it can whether or not the subject is in focus.

The K-5 has an option where you can prevent the "misfires", in other words, the camera can be set to only shoot when the focus mechanism has caught up with the moving subject.

03-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
michael mckee: I guess this is what I experienced. The problem occured as the person came closer. At distance there was no problem.

Ole: I experied that the camera did not fire continously at AF.C, but halted as the focusing problem occured. I guess I need to test this a lot more the nearest days.
By the way: Nice pix in your gallery from my area in the Geiranger gallery
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Were you using a fixed or zoom lens? I've been playing with this for months. (see my previous posts..)
Using a zoom, I've decided the best way to get proper focus with a zoom, is to anticipate the shot a bit, use AF.S 1/2 press, wait for the beep and pull the trigger.
You really have to play with it. I still get shots with my dog's face out of focus, but his chest is sharp
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

I wonder if there is some misunderstanding on the expression 'fire continously'. It could be interpreted as continuous shooting (or burst mode), or continous focus (AF.C). Let me share my own experience with Hi continuous shooting and the K-7.

If you decide to shoot continously (Hi continuous shooting), my experience suggests that AF.S and MF are the best:

* in AF.S, try to focus on a point in the middle of the path of the person running towards you.

* MF is possibly better (especially with a true MF lens with a nice focus ring), as you can refocus manually during the run.

With AF.C, the burst rate (5.2 pfs) does slow down as the camera try to re-focus. If you do not care about the burst rate, then AF.C is ok.

I add that I like to use the highest burst rate (5.2 fps) and I switch all all in-camera PP and avoid AF.C to maintain the fast burst rate.

Hope that the comments will help.
03-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax611 Quote
Ole: I experied that the camera did not fire continously at AF.C, but halted as the focusing problem occured. I guess I need to test this a lot more the nearest days.
By the way: Nice pix in your gallery from my area in the Geiranger gallery
Thanks! We have vacationed in Norway the past several years, we love it, it is a breathtaking country in particular for someone who grew up in Denmark where the highest point is less than 200m above sea level!

03-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All of you:
OK, thanks a lot for good hints. As a "superamateur" I need to practice a lot and Im sure your comments will be of great help for me!

Ole:
I`m proud to tell that Ive "climbed" that mountain in Denmark ;-)