Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-X LCD Problem - Will not display

My K-X suddenly will not display anything on the LCD screen. I had it securely in a backpack case today and the only thing that happened at one point the case was standing upright and fell forward due to the wind. It did not seem at the time like anything to be concerned with at all. Now the camera will turn on and I can confirm that I am able to change settings looking through the viewfinder. The LCD will not show anything, and I can't access menu options. I did put on an autofocus lens and confirm that it is working. There is nothing visibly wrong with the exterior of the camera at all. Any ideas on what I could try to correct the problem, or will I need to send it to Pentax. Any thoughts?

One other thing, I thought I remembered the camera would make a "ding" when turning it on (maybe I am remembering this wrong), but it is not doing it now.

03-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried pressing the DISP button after turning the camera on? I know this may sound trivial, but if you have the status screen display on by default, you might have never needed to press it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I don't see a DISP button on the K-x, but I have pushed every button I kind find. No luck so far.
03-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

One sure way to display “something” on the screen is press LV. But based on your problem description and what you’ve already done to test the camera, it sounds like the LCD’s light source is not turning on for some reason. Unfortunately, this is something you may have to send to Pentax.

03-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The "Info" button can toggle the display on and off (I love this). Maybe that's the sinner
04-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I called Pentax yesterday and the only thing I can do is send it in. They said it should take 15-20 days. I am not sure what experiences others have had with Pentax customer service, but so far so good. I think I may have to go to a pawn store today and buy the cheapest point and shoot I can find, since the wife doesn't like the idea of not having a camera with our 2 year old running around.
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I thought I would post an update. I mailed off the camera to the repair center in Chandler, AZ. I called today for a status, and the repair is on hold while they wait for parts. Apparently they are going to replace the PCB, which is the main circuit board. It is going to take a little longer than I was hoping, but at least the warranty covers it.
04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like they are being straight forward with you and not giving you the run-around, thats good, but bad that you have to do this in the first place, especially with a newer camera. Hope things keep going well with the repair and hopefully the last time you have to send it in.

08-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account

pantax pcb board

My PCB board went out on my Pantax Kx too. I have the same issue and my camera is 3 months old. and like you I sent it into the same place. They want to charge me $228 for repairs. This is a junk camera with a junk warranty.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-04-2011 at 04:29 AM.
08-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

If your camera is 3 months old, why are you paying anything?
08-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If your camera is 3 months old, why are you paying anything?
Agreed. For the first year under warranty, everything is covered unless You did something to the camera or didn't provide a receipt or the camera is not of USA origin.