Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Are all the accessories worth it?

I was going to buy a k-x with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. For another $140 I am offered the same camera, lenses, 2 Kenko UV Filters, 2 Proflash 4GB SDHC Class 6 Memory Cards, a usb card reader, Microfiber Lens Cloth & LCD Cleaning Pad, 4 Pentax NiMh Batteries & Battery Charger, and a Pentax Remote Control F.

Is it worth taking the kit with all these add-ons as i don't know whether I should just buy the camera and buy alternatives as or when I need them.

Thanks

03-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Absolutely not.

Filters are debatably used (hoods provide plently of protection for me personally), and Kenko filters in particular can be slotted into the 'completely useless' category. Think of shooting your camera through a pane of glass and that about sums kenko up.

Edit: here is a good link: Filter comparison - keep in mind the prices listed are MSRP, and for a 72mm filter size (as filters get larger their price grows almost exponentially, so 52mm and 58mm filters you'll need won't be quite so expensive).

Memory cards are a dime a dozen (ok, not exactly), but an 8gb class 6 card can be bought from reputable sellers for less than $20.

USB card readers might literally be a dime a dozen (most computers should have one if it is less than 5 years old).

Cleaning stuff is cheap.

Generic batteries are not recommended - get yourself a set of eneloops, which are recommended by most (including pentax if memory serves correct).

The remote F should be on ebay between $10-20

All in all should be about $50-60 before the filters, and hoya is generally well liked from a quality/value perspective - and should still put you well under that $140 quote - run away from that package.
03-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, the accessories are not worth $140. UV filters are worthless for anything except target practice. 2 generic SD cards are worth about $8-10 each, usb card reader = $3, microfiber cloth = $2, LCD cleaning pad = t-shirt, the only batteries you will want are eneloops, Remote Control F can be had for $10, less for a generic remote.
03-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Note: I wholeheartedly agree with Boris' assessment of filters! You can get cloned hoods for both the 18-55 and 55-300mm lenses on ebay quite inexpensively, that is the route I recommend. And Boris' pricing is more accurate than mine too, haha.

03-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arrondee Quote
Is it worth taking the kit with all these add-ons as i don't know whether I should just buy the camera and buy alternatives as or when I need them.
Bundles of stuff like that invariably include a few items you could need and use, and a lot that you won't, or would prefer not to live with; ie. are simply poor in quality or value and you'd soon wish to have chosen an alternative, even if it costs more.

The keyword there is choice. As you familiarise with your new camera you'll progressively find what items to buy that will best fit your needs, not some preselected range forced upon you under the guise of bargain. Hence you're more likely to get far better mileage out of that same 140 bucks for the long haul by feeling your way and going it alone.

Mandatory items:
Being a K-x it runs on 4x AA size batteries. One set of Lithiums is supplied with the new camera (they will yield approx ~800 or so shots) but they're non-rechargeables so you'd later need a followup solution of your choice for that.
You also need an SD flash memory card right from the start just to use the camera as one is not supplied with it. Class 6 type (speed) is required and either 4, 8 or 16GB are all an economical capacity to buy these days.

That is all that's required to get up and running initially, the first month or more.

Enjoy your K-x, it's a great toy.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.
03-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like a lot of money for that stuff. UV filters have their value in some conditions but invest in better ones if you need one. I buy a 2 pack of 4GB cards (PNY Optima) at BJ's for $24. Card readers are around $10-15 if your computer doesn't already have one. Remote control F's turn up in the Marketplace for under $10 often. With careful shopping, you can buy that stuff for a fraction of that price.
03-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
UV filters are worthless for anything except target practice.
I think boriscleto just wrote my new sig. Hilarious and very true!
03-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Definitely too much for the extra bits & pieces, and you *need* lens hoods which as mentioned above you can get on Ebay quite cheaply which are not included.

You need a decent-size memory card or cards, it's debateable IMHO if you need a card reader - the cable that comes with the camera has always worked for me regardless of what the camera is.

I use UV filters all the time and if they get dirty I am quite happy to take them off, put the lens cap back on, and wash them.

(However I did have a bad experience with a brand X one, all sorted once I got a Hoya HMC. Not their cheapest, but they do two more expensive ones that aren't worth the money according to the Lenstip tests.)

Also, a camera bag - one that will easily take the camera with either lens on, plus the other lens, plus the manual, plus spare batteries and any other bits & pieces with space for the ones you might get in the future.

The remote is not much use without a tripod IMHO, plus the camera can be set to a 2-second delay from pressing the shutter button which can often be used instead of a remote.

03-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I think boriscleto just wrote my new sig. Hilarious and very true!
Not mine. Credit has to go to RioRico.
03-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The remote and batteries are definitely good choices, and you'll also probably wind up using the cleaning cloth at some point or another. Filters for the kit lenses, especially cheap ones, will likely hurt your IQ, however.

Finally, the value of the things you're listing should be nowhere near $140 IMO!
03-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I got the K-x w/ the 18-55 and 55-300 also. HERE is my list of accessories I got with what were the cheapest prices I could find.
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I got the K-x w/ the 18-55 and 55-300 also. HERE is my list of accessories I got with what were the cheapest prices I could find.
And that's an excellent lot of necessities. Yes, flash (with diffuser) & batteries & charger & remote & mem.cards & lens hoods & cleaning kit & tripod & bag should cover almost everything. My additions are: adapters for non-PK lenses (as needed); macro tubes, Raynox lens; CPL & ND & spectrum-slicing filters; and some wee tiny tools for emergency work (as needed). And of course a Dremel for chopping lenses, heh heh. And a few hundred lenses. But those can come later. Like next month.
03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use UV filters but the Kenko ones get poor talk... I use Hoya UV's and notice no loss in IQ

Even so...

I'd take the $140 and put it towards a flash, tripod or a prime lens I were you...
03-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pretty unanimous reply from everyone here, thanks.
03-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by arrondee Quote
I was going to buy a k-x with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. For another $140 I am offered the same camera, lenses, 2 Kenko UV Filters, 2 Proflash 4GB SDHC Class 6 Memory Cards, a usb card reader, Microfiber Lens Cloth & LCD Cleaning Pad, 4 Pentax NiMh Batteries & Battery Charger, and a Pentax Remote Control F.

Thanks
I would say the accessories are something you'll probably want, with the exception of the filters. I would also say that list of stuff, even with the filters, is not worth $140 extra. Do a little shopping around and you'll likely discover you can find better quality items for the same amount, or less. The only advantage to a 'kit' like that, is that you'll have it.