Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
yeah but... I want the off camera flash to be the main/only light source. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was capable of this? IF so, what settings should I have (on camera and flash)
The remote (slave) flash can be the main source, but it can NOT be the only source.

In wireless flash, the built-in flash (or the flash attached to the camera) ALWAYS fires during exposure. If you set it as the control, the strobe will be weaker than when it is set as the master. But there is no way to prevent the control/master flash from firing.

This applies not only to Pentax p-TTL, but also to all flash techniques that use a preflash strobe.

The only way to NOT have the built-in flash to fire is to use RF remote, or a long flash extension cord.

03-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
...540 is able to fire as a remote main flash.
With no light contribution to the picture from the on-board control flash...
Don't take anyone's words.

Try taking a photo with the flashes in front of a mirror to find out for yourself...
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I realise the camera's flash will fire (hopefully at a reduced amount as to not affect the image) but should my camera be set to 'control' and AF540 for 'master'. That's how I thought I read the manual (can't find it at the moment... I should go and download it I guess!!!) but my AF540 will only fire when it is set to 'slave' which I don't think is right??

BTW, I think this thread is hijacked!!!!
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay so I did PTTL with the 2 second timer, and indeed I was crazy my PTTL works.

Perhaps its just the results I get from what I see, I have whitebalance set at flash or even auto, and it seems that the skin tones are so over whitened and un-natural.

Should I be using a custom white balance for flash for correct skin tones?