Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Probably a silly question

Hello, everyone,
After a long deliberation I finally purchased a camera bag. (Domke). I'm wondering if there is a wrong way to store the camera in it. Will the camera be harmed if it isn't laying flat in the bag? I know there's sensitive electronic stuff there so I wonder is it wrong to either have it lens down or lens up in the bag for an extended amount of time.

After posting this I'm amused by how many other titles have the word silly in them. Oh well.

03-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've never found it matters.
03-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a few backpacks. In the Tamrac, the camera is lens down. In the Kata, the camera is lens up. In the Lowepro, the camera is side way.

I (and more importantly, my cameras and lenses) can never tell the difference.
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the camera screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when you put it in the bag, then you've put it in there wrong Honestly though, as long as you don't have stuff banging together and you can easily get your stuff out of the bag, you're probably fine.

03-15-2011, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

If you store the camera face-down, all its electrons will flow down into the lens, which will start to glow. If you store the camera face-up, photons stored in the lens will be sucked into the camera body, which shortens battery life. Always store a camera on its side, to maintain balance.

WARNING! Do not use your camera in Photon-Depletion Zones (PDZ's), like those around the Eiffel Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney Opera House, anyplace millions of cameras have captured ambient photons. In such areas, photon imbalance can seriously inhibit your ability to see and photograph what is actually there, rather than what is left after the photons were taken away. Wherever you see hundreds of people with cameras, go elsewhere immediately!

This message is a public service of the I WOULDN'T BS YOU campaign fund.
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Rio, you're a wicked man.
03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Rio, you're a wicked man.
And??
03-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My camera bag(s) also holds the camera lens down; there should be no reason not to.

Last edited by jolepp; 03-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.
03-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you store with the lens facing up, you'll probably get lots of dirt, dust, and fingerprints on the lens.

Paul
03-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
If you store with the lens facing up, you'll probably get lots of dirt, dust, and fingerprints on the lens.
Oh no! My Kata R-103 is doomed!

03-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If you store the camera face-down, all its electrons will flow down into the lens, which will start to glow. If you store the camera face-up, photons stored in the lens will be sucked into the camera body, which shortens battery life. Always store a camera on its side, to maintain balance.

WARNING! Do not use your camera in Photon-Depletion Zones (PDZ's), like those around the Eiffel Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney Opera House, anyplace millions of cameras have captured ambient photons. In such areas, photon imbalance can seriously inhibit your ability to see and photograph what is actually there, rather than what is left after the photons were taken away. Wherever you see hundreds of people with cameras, go elsewhere immediately!

This message is a public service of the I WOULDN'T BS YOU campaign fund.
+1 we can't be too careful with PDZ's they are becoming plentiful with all these cheap P&S's heavily disturbing natures balance. Also if you put your camera face down and the electrons do flow out, I find that shaking the bag vigorously before opening it helps.

SOldBear I was wondering where I left my gear backpack, can you send it to me please.
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

On the plus side, you can do like I do and gather all those photons and electrons up at the end of the day and use them to refurbish depleted cameras for lots of extra cash.
03-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
Inactive Account

SOldBear.....that is one impressive camera bag!!!!!!! How are your shoulders? I'd be crippled LOL
03-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
SOldBear.....that is one impressive camera bag!!!!!!! How are your shoulders? I'd be crippled LOL
If you had a backpack like that you would condition yourself for it.. because you know everything in there is worth carrying. I'm sure if he was going on a long hike or something he might remove a few items, but you leave the bag full and ready to go.. so when you go shoot you've got it all. When building your dry box for storage consider making room (if you have it) or compartment for your camera bag if its not TOO big, this way you leave the top open and when needed just zip up and go.