Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
problem attaching lens to camera

Picked up a lens on E-Bay

"SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm

My camera
Pentax *istD

I cannot rotate the lens to complete the install. I can partially rotate the lens
during install but it is really tight. Instead of forcing it I stop and remove the lens.
Any thoughts?

The description claimed it would work on my camera.

Is there something that can be done to get the lens to fit?

Or do I just write it off

thanks for any input

03-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The SMC Pentax-A lens should install on the *istD without any problem whatsoever.

There may be something unusual about the lens, or the camera.

Can you post a photo of the lens mount?
03-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
here is one pic
Attached Images

03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
another pic

pic #2

Attached Images

03-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It looks like one of the flanges (top image, right side) may be bent.
03-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
good eye

After looking at it closer I ca see the bent flange

thanks
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep...lens has been dropped. Was the damage visible in the original auction photos?

Steve

03-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'd probably use a file to level off the bent flange if I couldn't bend it back with pliers. For me that might be preferable to sending it back (if I really want that model lens).

I'd fume about having paid too much for damaged goods but not want to undergo the extra pain involved in pursuing justice. On the other hand the seller's error or deviousness should be flagged for the benefit of future purchasers.

Difficult ethical problem!
03-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The A f2 are pretty easily found. I would just return it for a refund. You can easily find another - probably with a film camera attached either on evilbay or craigslist for the same price. Just a thought....
03-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

Original Poster
bent flange

I have been traveling the last couple of days and have not been able to check the responses.

I have been in contact with the seller already and he is looking for some pictures. I am not sure what I am going to do but Thank you for the input.
03-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I'd probably use a file to level off the bent flange if I couldn't bend it back with pliers. For me that might be preferable to sending it back (if I really want that model lens).

I'd fume about having paid too much for damaged goods but not want to undergo the extra pain involved in pursuing justice. On the other hand the seller's error or deviousness should be flagged for the benefit of future purchasers.

Difficult ethical problem!
Hey man, take it easy! I'm the one that sold him the lens, and after immediately replying to his concern about the lens not fitting, I never heard back until just now (days later). So relax before you pass judgement!

No devious evil scheming plan, and no the lens was never dropped. I never noticed the flange was bent, and even after going back over the pics I took when the lens was in my possession, I still don't see where the problem could be. It fit perfectly on 2 of my Pentax film bodies here, no problem, no tightness.

Have a look for yourself. But don't bash me without being informed, and please, don't talk about 'pain,' 'pursuing justice,' and blindly advise someone to 'fume about having paid too much!' Was only $25, included both original lens caps, and a vintage hard leather case... they go for as high as $50 for just the lens, so I'd say he got a really nice deal! No wonder eBayers get so worked up- there's stuff like this going on in the background.

Link to the pics from the eBay ad:
Index of /ebay/PentaxA50mm2.0_4
03-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hey all,
I sold him the lens... the pictures posted here are, well, marginal at best. Here's better pictures, the original from the ad:
Bent flange? Still don't see it. Must admit I'm baffled.
Sorry for your trouble, double d, I've responded to your eBay messages, but wanted to post here as well.
03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by freelancr Quote
Hey all,
I sold him the lens... the pictures posted here are, well, marginal at best. Here's better pictures, the original from the ad:
Sorry for your trouble, double d, I've responded to your eBay messages, but wanted to post here as well.
It's very possible that the lens would fit on a film camera and not (quite) on an *istD. All it takes in a tiny difference in the tolerances of the mount to bollix things up. I had a manual Ricoh 105mm macro with the infamous pin removed that fit easily on my K10D and somewhat tighter on the K20D but wouldn't on my K-x until I did some judicious filing on one of the flanges. So it is very possible you wouldn't have noticed.

NaCl(are you sure you aren't an evil nefarious scheming brigand?)H2O
03-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freelancr Quote
Hey all,
That's a nice looking lens and case. If the buyer decides to send it back, pm me and I'll take it off your hands. I already have a few 50's but could always use another.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
It's very possible that the lens would fit on a film camera and not (quite) on an *istD. All it takes in a tiny difference in the tolerances of the mount to bollix things up. I had a manual Ricoh 105mm macro with the infamous pin removed that fit easily on my K10D and somewhat tighter on the K20D but wouldn't on my K-x until I did some judicious filing on one of the flanges. So it is very possible you wouldn't have noticed.

NaCl(are you sure you aren't an evil nefarious scheming brigand?)H2O
Same here. I had an Image 28/2.8 lens that would not mount on a K10D. It would drop in ok into the camera mount but would not turn at all, and yet put it on a Super Program, it would turn smooth as butter and lock with a distinct click. I was a bit more apprehensive about modifying lenses then but now I would do as you did; file down the mounting tabs.

Thanks,
03-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Thanks guys, that's good to know there's most likely no problem with the lens... thought I was going crazy for a minute there!
@excanonfd, definitely, if he decides he doesn't want it, I'll be in touch.