Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Split filters

Hi,

I'm new to forums so please bear with me......

I am looking at getting a split filter but not sure how to determine which one is the best and what will work with my camera. I have the Pentax K-x with the 18-55 and 55-300 lens.........any help or suggestions would be great.

I have read that it depends on the thread.......how would I know which one is correct?

Thank you for any help or suggestions....

03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at the Cokin filter system.

You need a filter holder with adapter rings that will fit the filter thread of your lenses (52mm and 58mm respectively) and then you need the filters, of course. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Cokin "P" Series - Filter Holder, 58mm CBP40058 B&H

Cokin P113 Split Field +3 Filter CP113 B&H Photo Video
03-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You would definitely want a cokin-type system for any split filter application, be it a split-ND or any other (close-up, etc.) split filter. The important feature of the large-ish square filters is that they allow you to select (within a reasonable range) the transition point for the filter effect.

Paul
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Instead of buying two filters, get the larger diameter one. Then get 52-58 step up ring that will allow you to use the larger filter on the smaller filter threads. I'd recommend a double coated filter as those introduce less glare. They're more expensive, but do the best job.

I find the most useful split ND filter to be a 2 stop graduated filter.

03-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
You would definitely want a cokin-type system for any split filter application, be it a split-ND or any other (close-up, etc.) split filter. The important feature of the large-ish square filters is that they allow you to select (within a reasonable range) the transition point for the filter effect.

Paul
One other nice thing about Conkin filters is that if you use a tripod you can hand hold the filter over the lens.
03-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is the OP asking about split prism focusing screen or graduated filters? I don't recall hearing anyone referring to graduated filters as split filters.
03-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the info and suggestions. I have seen the Cokin but did not know how good they are.....I will feel more confident when purchasing one now.

The suggestions regarding the step up/down rings....saw them...didn't know if I would really need one but now.........most definitely.

As I had stated....I'm relatively new at the "filter" use....you "excanonfd" have now peeked my interest about the "split prism focusing screen and graduated filters". I will do research on-line however, getting feed back from users is far more useful!

"Ole" - thank you for the links..........

I welcome any other suggestions, tip, etc.

Thanks again....
03-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm still wondering what a 'split filter' is. Could you provide a URL to one?

Cokin-style filters are excellent and versatile, so long as you get the P size or even the larger X size - the A size (if it's still available) is prone to vignetting, even the P size is with wide angle lenses.

If you use a graduated filter you can move it up & down in the holder to get the graduation in the right place, and you can rotate the holder as well if you want the graduation sloping rather than horizontal.

03-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
The split filter is an awesome "toy". It you have two ppl for instance, standing next to each other, the split filter brings one person up close and makes the other person look like they are back further. I have seen different pics done like this and I think its awesome!
03-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah - maybe what Cokin call a split field filter. It must affect the background as well?

Intro 2020
03-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
hi.........yes there are some that do that but this certain one actually splits the subject frame in half...i.e....two ppl standing next to each other, this lens sends one person "back", keeps the other in front....