Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
converting a 2x converter

well i have a older 2x converter and i want to add an a pin to it by drilling a hole through it and taking a wire and putting it through it and soldering the ends as a connection. now the ? is is that has any one done this and successfully made it work

see the problem i keep thing is that i am going to drill through something important

or does and one have and sugestios on how to do this???

Last edited by lguckert79; 03-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.
03-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hrm. An electrical pin or mechanical, or what?

Interesting. For Pentax-A, I presume?

Probably safe enough: I can't see where you'd likely hit anything too critical to holding it all together, but I believe I'd probably want to pull at least one of the mounts, anyway, so I could make it all very clean of filings and everything, and that way you ought to be able to see for yourself. Let's see what you've got, there.
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
well i have a older 2x converter and i want to add an a pin to it by drilling a hole through it and taking a wire and putting it through it and soldering the ends as a connection. now the ? is is that has any one done this and successfully made it work

see the problem i keep thing is that i am going to drill through something important

or does and one have and sugestios on how to do this???
I don't know if it's ever been done but there is nothing critical outside of the TC's glass elements. Good luck and do tell us how you make out, wouldn't mind having another TC turned PK/A extension tube.

Thanks,
03-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well it did noy work ban i eould not sugest it with out the right tools....

03-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bummer....
03-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
well it did noy work ban i eould not sugest it with out the right tools....
Indubitably, not without the right tools, though it probably doesn't take much. What did you try to do and with what sort of TC, out of curiosity?
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well i have a hand drill and some wire and a sodering gun. I was going to drill through the whole thing and put a wire through it and soder the ends then file the sodering even with the mounts. So the apature would work with it that is all, and i need a drill press not a hand held drill, and it would work but no drill press so nope. Not till I get to a drillpress so im putting a hold on this project for a while. Till then i am going to reasearch the drilling of this item and see if it is safe to do so O well till then

03-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd still consider removing the lens mounting rings, anyway. That way you both really don't need a drill press, and also aren't filling a tube of metal with drill filings that will subsequently share air with your camera's sensor and works.

(Did you catch that bit, by the way? When you drill, you make metal particles. Trying to make a straight shot through both lens and camera mounts may or may not damage anything in between, but it's far better to take em off, mark correct locations, drill far from your optical equipment, clean with oil, *Then* do your soldering and reassemble. Bonus is, just cause something may actually be in the way between doesn't mean you can't still thread a wire.
03-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
have considered all of that and thank you for noticing and reminding me
03-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A drill press is a must, and not one of those 8 to 10 inch models with minimum speed of 6, 700 rpm. You'll need a bigger one that can be reduced to below 400 rpm (slower the better) for better control. You are talking about drilling about 2mm diameter holes spaced about 4mm apart centre to centre. If you are seriously considering this modification, I suggest you buy yourself a TC with contacts so that you can use it as a benchmark, to get drill pattern - without it, you are walking blind. Oh, that's right, you are doing this mod to keep from buying a proper one.:ugh: