Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fungus or Haze on lens

Is this fungus or haze?
Will it affect the photos I take now and later? From the two photos I took with the lens it didn't seem to affect them in any way. The person I bought it off of ebay said it was haze and it wouldn't be a problem using it as-is.

03-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like a fungus to me. And sure, it may not affect photos if this is all there is - simply because it may be out of the frame on a cropped sensor (assuming you're using it on a DSLR). And since this is so easy to see on the surface, there may be more on other elements inside. But regardless of what it is, unless you got a great deal on it (like about $10) you should return it - this lens is readily available elsewhere. Otherwise you're getting ripped off, and the seller is trying to pass it off on you. And if it's fungus, remember that fungus also grows. This looks like a relatively bad case, since you can see and photograph it so readily. Often fungus requires much closer inspection.
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Is this fungus or haze?
Will it affect the photos I take now and later? From the two photos I took with the lens it didn't seem to affect them in any way. The person I bought it off of ebay said it was haze and it wouldn't be a problem using it as-is.

This is definitely fungus. You should return it unless you got it really cheap and willing test your mechanical skills on opening it up to clean it yourself.

edit:
For reference purposes, you can easily find this lens on eBay for about $35-$45 in very good condition.
03-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As Dsims says, they're a very common lens (and a good one, let it be said) and I'd agree that this one is growing a rich crop of mushrooms inside. You can return it if that's possible or try leaving it on a sunny window ledge for a few weeks, which often kills off the fungus. It's not worth getting it de-sludged professionally. If it were me I'd return it and look for another in this forum's Photographic Equipment For Sale.

03-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you Wombat, ducdao and DSims. It wasn't a "great deal" so it's going back tomorrow. The seller didn't list it as having fungus on it and I thought I was getting a good copy.
It's too bad, I was really looking forward to playing with this lens too.
Thanks again.
03-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I just bought lens off kijjiji myself, seller assured me there was no haze, fungus or scratches. The thing is loaded with fungus (like yours) even between the UV filter that was attached and the front element, full of dust etc, the guy I bough it from was obviously an idiot, and so was I for buying it with a very quick inspection....lesson learned. : p

I guess its probably best to buy lenses off of members from the forum.
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Unless it was real cheap, return it. I have an old +30 yr old lens that has some fungus which hasn't affected IQ at all to my eye but I wouldn't buy one unless it was at a dirt cheap price. The lens in your picture look to be in very bad shape. An old bottle on the side of the road looks better than that.

03-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
An old bottle on the side of the road looks better than that.
03-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another thing, fungus grows.
Even if it might be dead, it can still have spores that can, with the right conditions, grow into another fungus again.
If you attach that to your camera, and attach other lenses (that have no fungus) to that camera, the fungus can transfer and you might have a fungus garden in all your lenses AND camera!
Beware of fungus because it is a living thing.
Haze, is something that can't be corrected or cleaned either so stay away from these two most specially from the haze.
Fungus can be cleaned, if the growth is not very extensive..but you have to dismantle the lens and get to the optic that has the growth.
03-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Another thing, fungus grows.
Even if it might be dead, it can still have spores that can, with the right conditions, grow into another fungus again.
If you attach that to your camera, and attach other lenses (that have no fungus) to that camera, the fungus can transfer and you might have a fungus garden in all your lenses AND camera!
From what I've been reading, as long as there's not a breach in the end of the lens which attaches to the body of the camera; & the fungus is only on the front glass, then it's not likely the fungus will jump into the inside of your camera.

However, to be on the safe side, I would do a quick clean of the outside of the back lens, put it on, shoot away and then remove it.

There are a number of posts on suggestions of where to store & how to kill fungus.

The 50mm 1.7 is pretty simple to clean. You'll need to do a little reading, & put together a small cleaning kit.

I realized that if I'm going to be using older lenses I was going to have to learn at least the basics of how to clean, dismantle, and store them.
03-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It is unlikely that a fungus spore got into the lens when it was made (and got locked inside) thereby proving the idea that the lens can't be breached.
If air or moisture can get in, then spores can get in..then given the right conditions..you get what I mean.
03-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
It is unlikely that a fungus spore got into the lens when it was made (and got locked inside) thereby proving the idea that the lens can't be breached.
If air or moisture can get in, then spores can get in..then given the right conditions..you get what I mean.
A small spore could land right on your lens just before you put it onto the body. If dust can get inside your camera, so can a small spore given the right conditions.

Unless there's fungus hanging off the back of the lenses, I'm not going to worry to much about it.

That doesn't mean, that I don't check every lenses and keep them clean, it's just that if you use old manual lenses, then there is going to be a greater chance of fungus inside the lens.

One of my older lenses (I think it's a SMC M135mm f/3.5) has an opening in the rear of the lens. However, that lenses is clean without a problem at all.