Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie Question:Metering

I have my first dslr (K-r) now with me and playing with it. My question is when does the metering start to work - is it working whenever I half press the shutter button?

I am asking this because I tried pointing the camera at my bright computer screen and pressed halfway the meter was still at 0.00 and tried pointing the camera towards a darker side and pressed halfway still the meter was showing 0.00.

I was of the understanding that when it meters over or below the 0 mark we will be bringing it back to 0 by adjusting either Av, Tv or Sv but in my case I was never given a chance as it still stayed at 0.00. Is there anything I am missing here or my understanding of the metering itself is wrong!?

Result: I ended up having a dark screen after I clicked - since I can clearly see through the viewfinder and my metering always showed 0.00 giving me no scope for finetuning. Only after I increased the ISO I was able to see any good capture but I was trying to achieve it without increasing the ISO too much.

03-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
The meter will only show a non-zero reading if:

1) you are in full manual (M) mode or
2) you have exposure compensation enabled in one of the auto modes (e.g. Tv, Av, etc.

In general though, i THINK metering starts as soon as you half-press the shutter. I'm not sure how long it stays "live" for. On the K-5 you can adjust how long it meters for.
03-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Tv Sv Av allow you to adjust the priority. You can over/under expose by using the +/- button to activate the EV compensation at the bottom of the display. The E-dial moves the bar R/L ie +/- The camera adjusts the non-priority parameters to get you to over/under exposed Only in M mode does that bar act as a meter. In M mode you control all parameters.
03-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

There is also the added layer of what part of the scene is being metered. You can set these cameras to pattern, center weighted, and spot metering. Pattern uses the whole scene using formulas to give more importance to different parts of the scene. Center weighted meters only the light around the center of the scene. And spot metering only uses the very center of the scene.

03-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The meter does not require the shutter to be pressed. You can check yourself. Aim it at the blacktop on your street, and then a piece of white paper. Should change.
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-x and the K-5 have a "meter operating time" setting in the menu, I'm pretty sure the K-r has this too: it sets the interval the camera keeps metering after the half-press.
03-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys! Very useful tips from all!

Cheers
03-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The meter does not require the shutter to be pressed. You can check yourself. Aim it at the blacktop on your street, and then a piece of white paper. Should change.
As long as the meter is active, this is true. But to activate the meter in the first place you must half-press the shutter button. The only exception (that I know of) is when you first turn on the camera.

Basically, the meter is active whenever you can see the information displayed in the viewfinder. When that information disappears, the meter has timed out, and the only way to activate it again (as far as i know) is to half-press the shutter.

03-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
As long as the meter is active, this is true. But to activate the meter in the first place you must half-press the shutter button. The only exception (that I know of) is when you first turn on the camera.

Basically, the meter is active whenever you can see the information displayed in the viewfinder. When that information disappears, the meter has timed out, and the only way to activate it again (as far as i know) is to half-press the shutter.
Quite right :-) I had an orifice inversion. I am in the habit of tapping the shutter (and green button) frequently enough to basically always have the camera ready. It has been so long since I read that parts of the manual I had forgotten the actual operations. Sorry!

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-19-2011 at 07:23 AM.