Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #1

Another newbie seeking help!

Just got my K5 two days ago and was very grateful to find this fantastic site!

I have only used point and shoot cameras so my jump into the dslr world is a bit intimidating.

After reading through the manual certain K5 camera settings have left me quite confused.

Question-- Selecting the Focusing (AF Point)
Why would one choose 5 AF points instead of 11 (default) points?
Why would one choose the center mode on the AF point switching dial rather than leaving it on auto?

Question--Linking AE to AF point during multi-segment metering.
The cameras default setting is off -exposure is set separetly from the AF point.
Why or when would one choose to change this setting to on -exposure is set in accordance with the AF point?

I will probably have many more questions later, but for now I'll just start with these. Any responses from all you wise people on this forum will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jake

03-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You choose the zone of Autofocus..you may want to specifically set the focus on the center zone and not in the larger 11 point zone. (or the center point or another specific point wich you can also do).
Linking AE to AF is if you want to measure and correctly expose that wich you are focusing...There is also center point measuring, multisegment and center pondered, all this has to do with how the camera will measure the light and decide the exposure (there are a few threads explaining in a detailed fashion their differences but i advise you to select a subject and try the different AE modes you will see the differences and have your own mental image of what it means). On the Kx you can also link the AF/AE-L button to store a particular measure made in one zone and apply it when you move the camera changing what is framed.
03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This image has little artistic merit, but it does show how focus points work. I just shot this in my back garden using our resident Robin just for you.

[IMG][/IMG]

We have branches both in front and behind the Robin, the camera desn't know which you want to be in focus so you have to tell it.

By selecting the centre focus point I can centre the part of the image I want to be in focus, the Robins eye, I half press the shutter which holds that focus point then I can frame the picture as I want keeping the shutter release half pressed, hoping the Robin doesn't move. When I'm happy I press the shutter and take the picture.

Left to it's own devices the camera could just as well focus on a branch in front or behind the bird, this way I tell the camera where I want it to focus which is important in this shot.

This is more impoprtant if you get close to the subject and or use a larger aperture (smaller f number) either of which reduces the depth of field which is that part of the image from front to back that is in acceptable focus.

If the lighting had been more dificult I could also make the camera use the same area for setting the exposure by linking the AF and the Ae in menu so the part that is in focus is also the middle tone of the exposure ensuring that the bird (in this case) is both in focus and exposed correctly.

Hope this helps Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-17-2011 at 08:24 AM.
03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OK5 Quote
Just got my K5 two days ago and was very grateful to find this fantastic site!

I have only used point and shoot cameras so my jump into the dslr world is a bit intimidating.

After reading through the manual certain K5 camera settings have left me quite confused.

Question-- Selecting the Focusing (AF Point)
Why would one choose 5 AF points instead of 11 (default) points?
Why would one choose the center mode on the AF point switching dial rather than leaving it on auto?

Question--Linking AE to AF point during multi-segment metering.
The cameras default setting is off -exposure is set separetly from the AF point.
Why or when would one choose to change this setting to on -exposure is set in accordance with the AF point?

I will probably have many more questions later, but for now I'll just start with these. Any responses from all you wise people on this forum will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jake
Welcome to the club! You picked a hell of a machine for your first dSLR I must say..

Truthfully, I don't make much use of a lot of the built in features. I especially don't let the camera pick the focal point. Any new camera, as soon as it comes out of the box, Center point AF. So that makes the 5 vs 11 question irrelevant for me. I also use Spot metering 99% of the time but the camera is also in Manual mode most of the time. If I want to focus off center, I do so, hit AE-L, recompose, and shoot. In 4 generations of Pentax dSLRs, that has worked quite well for me and it's just the way I'm use to doing things. Your mileage of course, will vary. I suggest experimenting with everything and see what works best for you.

03-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
OK5

Original Poster
Thanks Coeurdechene and JeffJS for your fast and effective response.
Chris-a special thanks for the photo which allowed me to instantly grasp the concept.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
Jake
03-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
bxf
Veteran Member

This post will shed some light on one of your questions (Link AE to AF Point):

Re: "Link AE to AF Point" - What does this do?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Your welcome Jake, and welcome to the best forum there is for anything Pentax.

Chris