Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,529
how do you know?

how do you know if your shake reduction is working?
I have a K10D and when I compare shots with or without it on, they look for the most part the same. handshake light does come on.

any thoughts appreciated

randy

03-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,396
Take a 50mm lens and shoot
With it on and off at 1/10 of a second shutter. You'll know the
03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,778
It will be the most noticeable at low shutter speeds like 1/4 - 1/10 as Lowell mentioned. At 1/500th it still works but there is far less movement.
03-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It will be the most noticeable at low shutter speeds like 1/4 - 1/10 as Lowell mentioned. At 1/500th it still works but there is far less movement.
If there is any movement at all, there is the same amount regardless of shutter speed (within reason). You're just recording less of it. People managed to take clear sharp photos long before SR (but I wouldn't want to be without it now as I've grown to depend on it somewhat).



03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,778
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If there is any movement at all, there is the same amount regardless of shutter speed (within reason). You're just recording less of it. People managed to take clear sharp photos long before SR (but I wouldn't want to be without it now as I've grown to depend on it somewhat).

How does the camera move the same distance in 1/500 as in 1/10?
03-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
How does the camera move the same distance in 1/500 as in 1/10?
It doesn't. That's my point. If the camera is moving however, it is still moving at the same rate at 1/500 as it is 1/10. Both times are faster than most will notice Anything happening. You're just recording a smaller slice of it.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax help
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top