Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
2 newbie Kx questions

After many months of research last week I decided to buy a Kx instead of any of the Canon rebels. I'm happy with my choice and my small world is just going to have to get used to a red camera. Anyway, so far I've got two complaints/questions about my camera that I know somebody can help me with. 1) Quite often when I'm reviewing pictures on playback, by camera for no apparent reason will switch back to menu. Sometimes it gives me a hard time about going back to playback. I'll push the playback button and nothing will happen (eventually it has always gone back to reviewing pictures mode). I looked for buttons that I might inadvertantly be pushing (such as my big nose hitting the live view button when I'm using the view finder), but I can't find any button that I might accidently be hitting. Does this sound lilke normal camera behavior? Or is this defective behavior? 2.) My camera seems to eat batteries fairly rapidly, at least compared to my p & s. I use rechargable Duracells, which lasted forever in my Olympus superzoom, but not much more than a day of very light use in the Kx. I remember when I was researching reading about battery consumption with the Kx and I think I remember people talking about a firmware update for the problem. My question: what is a firmware update? What does that mean? And considering that the Kx came out in 09, doesn' it seem that the new cameras would already be updated straight out of the factory by now? I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by, but that's it for now. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

03-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I need to hit the playback button a couple of times sometimes, I figure it was just busy writing to the card the first time.

For problem #2 do this
1) turn off the camera, press the "menu" button, while still holding down the menu button turn on the camera. If it says you have version 1.01 then you are OK. If it says 1.00 then you need to do an upgrade

2) Throw out those duracell batteries and buy some Eneloop batteries and use those. Don't do a whole lot of research on this, I know what I'm talking about when I say your K-x needs Eneloops, trust me OK Eneloops will hold there charge for weeks, months even, and should give you ~600 shots.
03-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had the issue with reviewing photos. Maybe you have a low speed card?

+1 for the Eneloops. Love 'em.
03-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if the K-x has in-camera corrections? They will slow down things.

03-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What are in camera corrections? And does somebody know if the kx does this? And why would the camera doing in-camera corrections cause the playback screen to suddenly cut off and go to the menu screen?
03-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Power settings maybe? Maybe your camera is going into some kind of power saving mode. Reviewing does usually take quite a bit of power. Check your menu. It may be doing that because you have it set to a low amount of minutes to conserve energy or something.
03-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You already have an answer regarding firmware upgrade. If the unlikely happens and you have the older version, the upgrade is very straight forward. You can get step-by-step help here.

Regarding rechargeable batteries, I didn't have a Kx but did have the previous version, the Km. It ran through cheap rechargeable batteries like a wino through cheap rotgut. I never got through a day of shooting without having to swap batteries. I always had a couple of sets charged up PLUS always carried at least one set of Lithium 8X non-rechargeables. If the camera was going to sit unused for any time at all, I always put in the Lithiums so it wouldn't go dead. A new set of the 8Xs usually lasted a couple of days of shooting but they are too expensive to use regularly - throwing them away every few days.

Moral of story: invest in some high quality, digital photo-specific batteries like Eneloops or one of the other high-end brands. The cheaper Duracells and Energizers just don't cut it.
03-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use the 8x energizer lithiums and and perfectly satisfied with them, they last a long time, but then again I also have done the firmware upgrade.
My K-x is actually not to hard on batteries

03-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Firmware upgrades are like fix patches for PC's- they correct some things the camera does internally. I'm not sure about all the contents of the v1.01 firmware upgrade, but it might contain the solution to your problem #1.

As for problem #2, I'm sure the firmware upgrade fixes that - and yeah, +1 for the Sanyo Eneloops too. Very reliable batteries, those are. And I think P&S cams don't use as much power as DSLR's do...
03-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
What are in camera corrections? And does somebody know if the kx does this? And why would the camera doing in-camera corrections cause the playback screen to suddenly cut off and go to the menu screen?
In-camera corrections are corrections for lens imperfections. Another 'correction' can be e.g. the BW conversion. Read the manual for options I don't have the K-x; I suggest that you download an electronic copy of the user manual for easy searching.

But I doubt it is the cause of your problem #1.
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #11

I don't think it's a firmware upgrade. I just bought a K-X 3 weeks ago and was trying to figure out the same thing. It's just a setting in the main menu that shows how long images are displayed for after you take them. The default setting on mine was 1 second, so as soon as I took the picture, it was gone...but, you can change it to 3 or 5 seconds, which should alleviate the issue
03-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
Sometimes it gives me a hard time about going back to playback. I'll push the playback button and nothing will happen (eventually it has always gone back to reviewing pictures mode)
It was this part of his statement that made me think about the firmware or just about the software of his K-x. If it was just the short playback viewing time then pressing the playback button would still be quick in response...

though for that, gebco may also be right. Maybe his SD card's a bit slow...
03-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

Another +1 for Eneloops.
03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Forum Member

I bought my K-x in early February from a reputable U.S. east-coast dealer, and it had firmware version 1.00 on it. Fortunately, the update is pretty quick and easy.

And I agree: GET ENELOOOPS!