Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #1

waterproof = pictureproof

I bought a waterproof digital pentax 3 years ago. Now it takes pictures full of horizontal bars that are uncorrectable. Pentex refused to replace it or even give me discount toawrd a new camera - it was just out of warranty. I cannot recommend the product (wish I could remember the model number). It never has a problem with water, and water didn't cause the problem. It just stopped working in the middle of our vacation.

I'll never buy another pentax - enjoy your forum!!

03-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Even though it's sad that your camera stopped working properly, you seem to assume that it means every Pentax product is poor.

There was a fire on the Canon forum at DP review because the S2 had a "change the batteries" problem. Canon never acknowledged the problem, never fixed it even for cameras under warranty. So it's not like faulty cameras (or faulty anything) is a new story.

Your camera is 3 years old. Even though you say it has never been abused, there is no way for Pentax to be sure of that (even you can't hardly prove it, and how can you be sure it was always used in perfect conditions, with the seals perfectly in place, within the operating temperature limit, etc). They stand by their product for one year, as do every other company. They would be out of business if they offered lifetime, no-questions-asked warranties on everything.
03-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Out of warranty" is "out of warranty"

Neither Canon or Nikon or any other manufacturer would have given you a discount on a new camera, much less given you a new camera to replace your broken one. There are multiple factors that can cause a sophisticated electronic device to fail after 3 years.
03-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The familiar whine sound...I, unfortunately, deal with this daily.

03-18-2011, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Forum Member

I dislike when people come to a forum, and bitch and whine when their camera stops working after 3 years of continuous use, and probably very rough use. You weren't here when the camera was working perfectly for 3 years, so don't come here when the camera finally has a problem.
03-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
SPB

Well put Raylon. I wouldn't change from Pentax. I had one problem with my K10D, which was almost out of guarantee, it simply refused to work one day, went completely dead when I wanted to take a flash picture. Took the battery out waited a minute, nothing dead. Took it to the dealer they checked it, it was sent to Pentax who under guarantee replaced the mother board of the camera for free.

I would say that as we become more dependent on electronics, a proportion of people can't take that when things don't just work. A bit like the baby throwing the water out of a bath when they cannot get everything their way.
03-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is pretty pathetic. I'm sorry your camera has a problem but you come on here just to make one whining post and then disappear into the Blue Yonder again ? Why ? Sad, very sad and bitter ... and pointless. Toys out of the pram big time.

03-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
That is pretty pathetic. I'm sorry your camera has a problem but you come on here just to make one whining post and then disappear into the Blue Yonder again ? Why ? Sad, very sad and bitter ... and pointless. Toys out of the pram big time.
+1

I spent over 25 years in CES retail and the number of times i heard this whine was insane. Every brand i dealt with had product break (and I dealt with every large manufacturer and a large number of small very high end very high quality ones at points as well
Product breaks down it happens. no manufacturer offers discounts or replacement/repair on out of warranty product. the only time i've ever seen it happen is when an individual product has a long history of warranty issues and then breaks again shortly after the warranty. so if your camera had been problematic throughout the warranty period and experienced the same issues again just post warranty i could see them doing something. but not in this case.
good luck with whatever you choose next but don't expect a different result if the same thing happens in 3 years no matter what you buy
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought a Ford 4 years ago then it broke down and Ford wouldn't give me my money back. I'll never buy a Ford again!

GET REAL!!!!

Last edited by fccwpe; 03-18-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added text
03-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deraeler Quote
I'll never buy another pentax - enjoy your forum!!
Thanks. I always enjoy this forum. I enjoy your absence too.
03-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Obvious troll is obvious.
03-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

how in gods name did this troll get 10 rep points? with 1 post and no likes?
03-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Bye, it's been a slice.

Edit: I had an Olympus go south on me, and also a couple of Nikons that had problems, so best avoid those brands.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-18-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: follow up to wasser's post
03-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just an FYI to the OP, my first digital camera was a Canon. It, quite ironically, stopped working after 3 years. Now, I didn't attempt to get Canon to pay for it, but I thought the OP might benefit from this info and also avoid all Canon products.
03-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Obvious troll is obvious.
Ya think? With a name like Deraeler (derailer)?