Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
1st macro pics.

finally some nice weather.1st flowers bloomed so this is my 1st macro shots.just wondering if i did it right.i bought a sigma 105mm lens for my k-x .so let me know if i'm doing it right or wrong !!thanks everyone!!!!!! 1 regular pic.one i croped .

Attached Images

03-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those look fantastic. I really love the detail and dreamy OOF areas in the second pic. Are you PPing these or are they all straight from the camera? Macro photography is quickly becoming my new addition, especially with my Sigma 90mm. If you were interested in getting more into macro work, you can try a 58mm-xxmm reverse ring (where xx is the other lens' filter thread) to gain a greater than 1:1 magnification if you use a lens with a small focal length. If you have a 50mm around, you can have 2:1, with a 28mm a 3.75:1 magnification level.
03-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

Looks pretty ALRIGHT to me!!!
03-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Looks nice!

I like the OOF area. my only niggly suggestions would be to try to not cut off the flower petal and it may be a very teeny bit underexposed but these are both extremely minor

Good job!

Another fun thing you can try with that macro (or many other lenses) is the Raynox 150 or 250 macro adapters. They are awesome and get you even closer to your subject (1.5-2.5x the focal length of the lens) Also smooths out the bokeh. About $50 each and they just clip on to the front on the lens. A tripod helps a lot when using these.

03-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mr.b.snowden Quote
Those look fantastic. I really love the detail and dreamy OOF areas in the second pic. Are you PPing these or are they all straight from the camera? Macro photography is quickly becoming my new addition, especially with my Sigma 90mm. If you were interested in getting more into macro work, you can try a 58mm-xxmm reverse ring (where xx is the other lens' filter thread) to gain a greater than 1:1 magnification if you use a lens with a small focal length. If you have a 50mm around, you can have 2:1, with a 28mm a 3.75:1 magnification level.

thanks,guess i doing something right.i don't know what 00F areas or PPing is.i croped the 2nd pic.on the computer.i also know nothing about reverse rings and your other suggetions but am willing to learn.this is my 1st dslr. had it since dec. but its been so cold i've been shooting the walls for 3 months trying to learn .nice to get outside.keep advice coming greatly appreciated.!!!!!!!!!!!
03-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Looks nice!

I like the OOF area. my only niggly suggestions would be to try to not cut off the flower petal and it may be a very teeny bit underexposed but these are both extremely minor

Good job!
underexposed means a little more light correct ? suggestions /advice good or bad is what i want .only way i can learn!!!!!! thanks

Last edited by scottyboy; 03-18-2011 at 08:27 PM.
03-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scottyboy Quote
thanks,guess i doing something right.i don't know what 00F areas or PPing is.i croped the 2nd pic.on the computer.i also know nothing about reverse rings and your other suggetions but am willing to learn.this is my 1st dslr. had it since dec. but its been so cold i've been shooting the walls for 3 months trying to learn .nice to get outside.keep advice coming greatly appreciated.!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent job in that case!

OOF = out of focus

sometimes its also called "Bokeh" this is the character or look of the out of focus areas (which vary greatly from lens to lens)

PP = post-processing

referring to any additional editing done on the photos after they have been taken and processed by the camera

reverse rings are where you take a lens put an adapter on the end where the lens cap goes and then reverse another lens onto it so the lens-mount of the second lens becomes the front of the camera forming a very close focusing macro lens. confusing I know google an image of a reverse ring macro setup and you'll see. but with a dedicated macro lens you dont need to do that at the moment

I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the book "Understanding Exposure" very well written and easy to understand. Gives you all the ins and outs of the basics of great photography, it helped me and many others here a lot. Especially because it boils down photography concepts to simple stories about bees collecting honey and stuff that makes sense rather than just jargon.

Last edited by Deimos; 03-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.
03-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think macro shots always "pop" more when the difference in color contrast between the subject and the oof area are prominent and you have done that very well. Good job.

03-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think what makes these shots is your nice lighting, focused directly on the flowers.
03-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
Excellent job in that case!

OOF = out of focus

sometimes its also called "Bokeh" this is the character or look of the out of focus areas (which vary greatly from lens to lens)

PP = post-processing

referring to any additional editing done on the photos after they have been taken and processed by the camera

reverse rings are where you take a lens put an adapter on the end where the lens cap goes and then reverse another lens onto it so the lens-mount of the second lens becomes the front of the camera forming a very close focusing macro lens. confusing I know google an image of a reverse ring macro setup and you'll see. but with a dedicated macro lens you dont need to do that at the moment

I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the book "Understanding Exposure" very well written and easy to understand. Gives you all the ins and outs of the basics of great photography, it helped me and many others here a lot. Especially because it boils down photography concepts to simple stories about bees collecting honey and stuff that makes sense rather than just jargon.
"understanding exposure" is right beside me along with my k-x manual.i only read so much at a time and then try to learn that part. sometimes i understand better from people on this site.i now know OOF,PP.I also bought "understanding exposure" after seaching photography books on this site.thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I think what makes these shots is your nice lighting, focused directly on the flowers.
nicest day we had in months.came home from work ,60 degrees,flowers were open ,sun shinning right on the flowers.i was like a kid at x-mas.changed clothes, grabbed camera,my top half was in the garden bottom half laying on the patio.not so comfy but i waited all winter for this.

Last edited by scottyboy; 03-18-2011 at 08:33 PM.
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
Looks nice!

Good job!

Another fun thing you can try with that macro (or many other lenses) is the Raynox 150 or 250 macro adapters. They are awesome and get you even closer to your subject (1.5-2.5x the focal length of the lens) Also smooths out the bokeh. About $50 each and they just clip on to the front on the lens. A tripod helps a lot when using these.
would i need one made for my sigma lens or are they a universal fit? thanks,to as my girlfriend said my " PHOTO FRIENDS "ha! ha!

Last edited by scottyboy; 03-18-2011 at 08:24 PM.
03-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I think macro shots always "pop" more when the difference in color contrast between the subject and the oof area are prominent and you have done that very well. Good job.

when i saw these types of pics. on this site i thought too cool!!! and since i like to garden i had to learn how.now i need more blooms as this is the only one .to early in northwest ohio.
03-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Inactive Account

If my Macro nemesis blew through there (the wind) I would say you did a pretty bang up job. Looking forward to seeing more.

03-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

excellent captures, good job. Here is another tool you might want to try, focus stacking

NaCl(I can identify with the spring fever attitude too)H2O