Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Saving Images to Computer

Purchased a K-5 and successfully used the USB cable to connect the camera to the computer one time. I have not been successful on further attempts. Have followed the steps in the user manual and have attempted connecting to multiple computers (to verify that it was not computer specific) to no avail. Anything I might be overlooking? The computer is not recognizing the camera as a removable disk.

03-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most people seem to use a SDHC-compatible card-reader and forgo the cable entirely. It has been a long time, but I think the camera has to be powered on then connected for the computer to see it.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-22-2011 at 06:43 PM.
03-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Check the "USB Connection" setting in your menu (wrench menu2) Make sure it's set to "MSC" (Mass Storage).
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than trying a different cable, I have nothing to add to the above. I've verified on mine, that if the USB is set to PTP, the computer will not recognize it so make sure you didn't change the menu setting for some reason (printing from camera?). It may seem elementary or even completely stupid, but also make sure your card is properly seated in the camera. Maybe even try a different card.

03-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the responses. Still not successful. My pentax settings were appropriately set. This may simply be a uniqe situation. Plan on purchasing a USB card reader to nip the problem in the bud.

thanks again.
03-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Get the card reader, probably that can read more than one type. i have an older Sandisk 5 in 1 that works for me and covers a couple of the P&S cameras my wife and kids have.
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

What OS do you use? Mac, XP, Window 7 ?

With XP, I connect the camera (switched off) to the computer with the cable. When connected, I switch on the camera. After a short while, the SD card is recognise as a external drive.

Hope that the comment will help.
03-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Some times when you disconnect a mass storage device from a computer the computer thinks the device failed and will not recognize it again without rebooting or logging off and then on again. Welcome to the wonders of windows plug and play

03-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwynn Quote
Thanks everyone for the responses. Still not successful. My pentax settings were appropriately set. This may simply be a uniqe situation. Plan on purchasing a USB card reader to nip the problem in the bud.

thanks again.
That is like buying a brand new car where the radio does not work and buying a portable radio to solve it.

I strongly suggest that you get it checked at the shop where you bought it if the problem persists. Just buying a card reader is not going to solve the problem; it's only a work around.

One day you might to want the connection to quickly view images or a movie on a TV and you find that it does not work. And that will guaranteed be just outside the warranty period.

Congratulations with your new camera and welcome to the club.
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have more than one camera and I do not care for the hooks that any camera software outs into the OS. The only thing I use to download images is a card reader. The good news is that you can buy a small cartridge that you plug your SDHC card into and and then you plug that into any USB port on your computer.

I think I paid 2 bucks for it on Ebay. This is what is looks like in an exploded view:
Attached Images