Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Help using manual lens on pentax k-x

Hey Everyone im new here and i really need help.
My mom just got a Pentax K-X DSLR camera and we have an old 35mm SLR pentax camera and we were wanting to use some of the lenses from that one on the new one, but it wont work. I was reading that we might need an adapter, im not sure what kind we may need or where the best place to get one would be. Im going to put up pics of the lens because im not sure what kind it is. if some one could help me with this it would be awesome!!! There are pictures in my new here post.

03-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, Mooseychick..

First tell us what kind of lenses you have. If they are K mount, they should work but let us verify that for you first (Some of them Will give you problems). Then, or first instead, go to your Custom menu on your camera and set the tic that says "Use Aperture Ring" to Permitted.

03-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Please provide the model of the old camera, as there are Screw mounts and K-mounts. The K-x is a K-mount.

You would also need to set the the K-x to allow old manual lenses:
Menu>C>4>22> then set to "permitted".

You can refer to the K-x manual pages 81-82 and 284

P.S. I would also suggest researching the infamous "Ricoh Pin" here in the forum or the internet to avoid potential problems in the future.
03-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The old camera is an ME (not super). No adapters required but I would still like to see the actual Mounts to verify these are not Ricoh pin lenses.

03-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am not a hundred percent sure what type of lens it is. i have pictures in my https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/137270-new-here-i-need-help.html new here i need help post if that helps?
03-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
I cant get pictures of both mounts later today as im at work currently
03-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
opps i mean i can* get pictures later

03-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They should work if they mount on the ME without an adapter. But you will need to go into the Custom menu of your KX, and look for "Using aperture Ring" and set that to "permitted". Then you can use the old lenses. They will be manual focus, and you will have to use the "Green Button" to set exposure, but once you learn it, you'll be fine.
08-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
I got it to work thanks!!!