Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Washed out images on my PC?

Hi there.

I am a complete novice so please forgive me if I am asking something that has already been asked and answered previously.

My wife bought me an OPTIO LS1000 as a bdy present. The images on the cameras LCD screen are fabulous. But once they are copied and viewed on my PC, the colours look really washed out. I understand that the picture will loose some quality when enlarged from the small LCD to a PC monitor, but even when I reduce the picture size to small on the PC they still look pretty awfull. Though not calibrated, images from other sources look considerably more vibrant when viewed on my Pc monitor,

Any help would be much apreciated. Thank you

03-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

What Usually causes washed out images, from Any camera, is over-exposure. A monitor calibration would probably help as well even if you just fiddle with the controls to get it looking right to you. Can you upload an example photo, With exposure information, so we can tell you what is Really happening?

03-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is also the possibility that you are shooting in AdobeRGB color space but loading them on the computer into sRGB color space. this will result in a desaturated look, with colors shifting strangely to different colors. To be safe, just always shoot in sRGB.
03-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #4

What program are you using to view your pics?
On my PC, the 'Windows Picture Viewer' ? (WIN 7 Pro)
makes pictures look really horrible.

Even since getting a Pentax, I'm still using the old but simple
Fuji FinePixViewer from my previous camera.

Michel

03-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses.

Since my original post I have viewed the photos on my wife's laptop, and irrespective of how I import the photos into her computer or whichever program she uses to view them, they look great.

I have noticed that when I view the photos on my computer with Nero Photosnap Viewer, they do look better than within Windows Picture Viewer. But still not quite right.

I will do a bit of research into this sRGB /RGB thing, and see if somewhere my programs are converting incorrectly.

Many thanks.