Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
di-pod?

i am wondering if anyone makes a dipod? i know of monopods and tripods, but i would think a dipod together with the photographer would be a good tripod ?
thanks

03-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try hunting sticks. It sounds like that's what you're after.
03-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks, i'll look up hunting sticks.
03-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
thanks, i'll look up hunting sticks.
Also called "Shooting Sticks"

03-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Is that not also called a bi-pod?.
I will find something on you-tube and post a link.
Perfect.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-19-2011 at 04:44 PM.
03-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
this is basically what i'm looking for, now, i need a bean bag tripod head, or something to adapt this to a camera?
thanks
03-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

dh4412,

What happens to stability when you swivel the camera 90 so that the two legs line up one behind the other?

Mickey
03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
i was thinking i would pick up both legs and re-plant them when i wanted to move a lot; but it is a good point. maybe a monopod would work just as well, but with a swivel type head of some kind? just i think taking a tripod hiking is probably something i won't do. a monopod with a decent sized beanbag top that one could sit the camera on but not have to screw the camera into, do you know what i mean?
thanks

03-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You mean like a monopod with a ball head and a quick release plate?

Amazon.com: National Geographic NGTM1 Tundra Monopod with Head and Quick Release Plate 785PL (Gray): Camera & Photo
03-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
yes, something like that national geographic monopod, but i seem to want to have the ability to put the camera on a bean bag instead of fixing it to the threaded screw, maybe though the quick release plate would be ok, just had the thought that with a beanbag head one could move the camera around easily , i don't know if it would work in practice though. thanks
03-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, something like that national geographic monopod, but i seem to want to have the ability to put the camera on a bean bag instead of fixing it to the threaded screw, maybe though the quick release plate would be ok, just had the thought that with a beanbag head one could move the camera around easily , i don't know if it would work in practice though. thanks
Try the trek pod, camera attaches via a very strong magnet, there is a cupped screw head that screws into the tripod mount on the camera which fits snugly on a moly magnet attached to a ball head on the monopod. check it out I have the precursor to the trek pod II and I love it.

NaCl(one of my most used pieces of gear)H2O
03-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #12

Original Poster
this trek pod II looks pretty cool, that could work. thanks.
03-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I found that a simple Y shaped yoke (like on a shooting stick) works well for me. I have also used a strong magnet - but did not have the magnet on an articulating head.

The lens barrel is rested in the Yoke. This allows quick up & down aiming of the camera so the monopod shaft need not be tilted.

I use the monopod mostly for long lens wildlife & sports photography. It helps stability, but maybe even more important, allows me to track a bird or goalie with a long lens for much longer than I can hand hold the camera.

Here's a summary photo of a monopod that breaks down into three segments short enough to stow in a small camera bag. It was built from the legs of a small tripod - shown on the left. I use one segment for tabletops, two for theater or when seated, and three when standing. The segments screw together with standard tripod threads so the camera can also be secured with the screw or a ball head can be added.

Last edited by newarts; 03-20-2011 at 03:29 AM.
03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #14

Original Poster
this is pretty interesting the way you made this out of a tripod, the yoke sorta solves the problem of having to screw the camera into the monopod or tripod, i like this.
thanks
03-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Inactive Account

this is pretty interesting the way you made this out of a tripod, the yoke sorta solves the problem of having to screw the camera into the monopod or tripod, i like this.
thanks
As you seem interested here's how I assembled it. The mini-tripod and yoke (from a shooting stick) were both purchased at Walmart.

Shown above the monopod segments are a 1/4-20 tpi coupling nut and a 1/4-20 tpi hanger bolt (1/4"-20 threads per inch is the standard tripod mount thread specification) - standard hardware store items.

The coupling nuts were shoved into the bottoms of the individual tripod legs and glued in place with epoxy; The screw thread end of the hanger bolts were shoved into the tops of the tripod sections and epoxied in place.

With this arrangement as many monopod sections as desired can be securely screwed together and the yoke, camera, or tripod head mounted on top. As it turns out I only use the yoke.

I built this rather than simply use a shooting stick because I wanted to be able to store the thing in my camera bag. I'm physically limited & can't lug much.

my next project may be a stealth monopod made from a cane extensible to about 6' with a "Derby Head" for theater, museums etc.

Last edited by newarts; 03-20-2011 at 11:38 AM.