Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not so much "general" troubleshooting...

So while trying to take off the view finder, i accidentally broke the diopter tab off. (completely not forceful at all, purposefully gentle)
now not only do i have no diopter to adjust (not a big issue as its crisp to me) but im afraid there may be a little piece of plastic inside the viewfinder.

Obviously i have to send it back to pentax, but is there anyway that i can use it for awhile first? i have a HUGE job to do in a few weeks and absolutely need it for that.

If nothing else, is there a way to get just enough of the body apart to get the small plastic piece out??

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 03-22-2011 at 03:29 PM.
03-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I must say that's a new one on me.. To retrieve the part, you could probably pull the top of the camera off..

Downloads

may help, may not. Beware of the flash capacitor when you get in there. It'll clinch your teeth up but good.

03-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If i take it apart, will it void any warranties? or should i find a service place tot ake it to locally?
03-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Probably and yes if it is still under warranty.

04-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I have contacted pentax, should be sending it to them next week. The first person I spoke with made it sound like this is an "abuse" problem, and would not be covered by the warranty. If this is true, what kind of price should I expect? I know that you can't give me a real price obviously, but do you think we would be talking $50 or $500? I would think that if its over $200 it would be better for me to just sell it on ebay for $350 as damaged and put that money towards a new one. Just dont know if I want to spend $15 to ship it, wait two weeks only to find out it may cost $350 to fix, then I gotta pay another $15 just to get it back.

Just as a heads up if you didn't read my first post, I'm talking about my diopter breaking off while removing the eye piece. Not really abuse in my eyes but.... FYI ill take a picture to show how thin the plastic piece is that holds the dioper on, its laughable. I don't know how more don't break...
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update, called the company that services pentax products. (apparently pentax doesn't do it as they didn't answer the phone "pentax" and they asked for my camera "make") and they said that to service a pentax camera its $265. I said ok, what does "service" mean? ANY work on the camera? She said yes, anytime it has to be opened its pretty much a blanket cost. So its looking like ATLEAST $265 for a diopter.... Screw that, I would rather A: use it till it really breaks, then sell it for parts for next to nothing, or B: sell it "broken" for like $300, then buy another used.

What do you all think?
04-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Your call. If it's usable as is and you aren't ready for a new camera (different camera), use it. Otherwise, dump it and move on to the next one. I'm sure more than one of use has passed (with disclosure) a problem on to the next guy.