Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Adapter to use other lenses?

Does an adapter exist allowing Pentax users to use other lenses? I need to use telephoto with lower f stops 1.8-2.8 in the zoom range of 330-1200mm. I simply can not find anything in Pentax or other brands that accommodate use of my K10D. Thought suggestions?

03-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use Sigma/Tamron lenses with no adapter, as well as a lot of other brands.

The fastest lens available currently is the Sigma 500mm/F4.5 and the Sigma 300mm F2.8

Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Sigma also makes a 200-500mm F2.8 (fastest zoom in existence), but it's not available for Pentax and probably costs more than your car

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChallengedOne Quote
Does an adapter exist allowing Pentax users to use other lenses? I need to use telephoto with lower f stops 1.8-2.8 in the zoom range of 330-1200mm. I simply can not find anything in Pentax or other brands that accommodate use of my K10D. Thought suggestions?
You will not see anyting above 300mm faster than F2.8, and 1200mm at F2.8 would be about 400mm in diameter, or roughly 16 inches. NOBODY makes anyting that size.

What do you need it for?
03-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You will not see anyting above 300mm faster than F2.8, and 1200mm at F2.8 would be about 400mm in diameter, or roughly 16 inches. NOBODY makes anyting that size.

What do you need it for?
Lol the 1200mm was a stretch I am a semi pro baseball photographer. I want faster glass that will accommodate low light at night etc. The 1200 would be for day Tim nature/wildlife and doesn't need to be that low. I was exaggerating just a tad on my frustrations. The problem I'm running into is indoor sports volleyball, basketball, hockey etc...

03-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try the sigma 70-200mm F2.8

Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax | Sigma 70-200mm vs. Tamron 70-200mm vs. Pentax FA* 80-200mm F2.8

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might try canon (OMG did I really say that) I think they make a 200mm F2

In MF you can find a pentax 200 F2.5

But I think for indoor a good 70-200F2.8 and bump the OSO is the way to go
03-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
What are the thoughts on this one? Sigma APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM. Gets me a little more range for low light baseball to reach the outfield.

03-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's a great lens if you want to spend $5k, no doubt. We'll be reviewing it once it comes out in the Pentax mount.

Adam

03-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Love that review but still conflicted. Lol. Does B&H give members of the forum a discount? It seems B&H and Adorama are right at the same price with shipping and handling. And if that not enough I found the Pentax version for sale as well for $1700
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing you may wish to consider is basic optics

Image size = subject size x focal length / distance

300 mm is not long enough to reach the outfield CEO behind the plate

If you are serious about it look at 2 lenses and 2 bodies. Get a 500 mm sigma F4.5 and then use something shorter in close
03-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
One thing you may wish to consider is basic optics

Image size = subject size x focal length / distance

300 mm is not long enough to reach the outfield CEO behind the plate

If you are serious about it look at 2 lenses and 2 bodies. Get a 500 mm sigma F4.5 and then use something shorter in close
Agree totally, I shoot from the photo bays on the left or right side of the dugouts. 400mm will get me my shots of center left and right. I currently use my 80-320 kit lens for that and it pays the bills. Obviously I don't get the professional image quality that I personally would like. I currently do not have "professional" lenses so I am here looking and getting advice. The sigma 70-200 2.8 should be enough for infielders and batters at home from this distance right? And will allow me other sports that I've been asked to cover but currently can't IE: hockey, volleyball, basketball, right or wrong? I also was thinking this lens to compliment my portrait and wedding gear ( have not done much portraiture or weddings at all). Which is a whole othe thread. And the plan is eventually for two bodies. My K10D is getting old, and I had been contemplating a brand switch but this has somewhat revived me.
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some time ago I had an adapter that allowed Nikon lenses to be used on a Pentax body. It was basically a 1.4X telextender with a Nikon mount on front, Pentax on the back. No lens-to-camera communication = strictly manual diaphragm (and metering on a DSLR). I used it with both Nikon 180 f2.8 and a 500 f4.0P lenses. The image quality was so-so, that is, it was basically a cheap 1.4X extender. I would NOT recommend such a device unless you are tolerant of marginal IQ.
For a longer telephoto, try to get a Tamron Adaptall 2 400 F4.0 with a PKA adapter. It's only manual focus, but the IQ is quite good. It works well with both the 1.4XL and 2XL Pentax converters. (better with the 2XL than the 500 Nikon with the N-to-PK adapter).
For a bargain tele, consider the new 50-500 Sigma (see review by Pentax Forum).
03-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChallengedOne Quote
Agree totally, I shoot from the photo bays on the left or right side of the dugouts. 400mm will get me my shots of center left and right. I currently use my 80-320 kit lens for that and it pays the bills. Obviously I don't get the professional image quality that I personally would like. I currently do not have "professional" lenses so I am here looking and getting advice. The sigma 70-200 2.8 should be enough for infielders and batters at home from this distance right? And will allow me other sports that I've been asked to cover but currently can't IE: hockey, volleyball, basketball, right or wrong? I also was thinking this lens to compliment my portrait and wedding gear ( have not done much portraiture or weddings at all). Which is a whole othe thread. And the plan is eventually for two bodies. My K10D is getting old, and I had been contemplating a brand switch but this has somewhat revived me.
I have a sigma 70-200 F2.8 non DG non macro that is reportedly the sharpest of the sigmas at maximum FL. I use it with the 1.4x and 2x TCs. That plus a pong lens should reach the outfield but as i said do the math. Assume batters are 2 meters tall and assume frame dimensions are 16 x 24 mm. You know the dimensions of the ball park