Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
FYI, downloaded the trial of Bibble. Like stated above, it appears to handle the raw files just fine.
I'll have fun asking the tech why that happens, if the cameras cannot put proper information into the structure of a multi-exp file.

Thanks. Very useful info for me to use when the guy tries to pull some smart-ass technical shit thinking we're just "dumb photographers".

04-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, oddly enough istD through K5 exhibit the same "problem" within the Pentax Digital Camera Utility.
Once you start messing with the Color Temperature, the color gets munged badly.
PENTAX called me again today, and their workaround at the moment is to use the DCU software to output a JPEG or TIFF using the Grey Point Setting and work off that.

I find it odd that Adobe and Aperture do not have issues with other Pentax RAW versions (K10 & K7). Along the same lines, as for why Bibble or other tools do not exhibit the same problem, no clue.

The support tech mentions, and I really have to agree... perhaps they are either mis-interpretting, ignoring, or re-interpretting a portion of the DNG to give "proper" results. It is debatable whether such an action is a good thing, as it may assume something incorrectly.

My opinion, I applaud them for "making it work". I guess I would rather having a useable result than following exact specifications... as long as other areas of functionality are not inhibited.

I am still hopeful that Adobe can perhaps bring the purple back into a more reasonable range for the K5 RAW files. I am quite certain they are compounding the issue with the same flaw afflicting the D7000. I guess I'll report the findings of the istD - K7 and see if they can also add necessary fixes for the K5... :-)

Sad to need a workaround, but I guess for the few times I'll actually be using multiple Exposure, I'll suck up the extra 10MB of disk space and use DCU for those files. Blech! Sort of makes my mouth sour just at the thought. Maybe I'll look into DCRaw. Anyone know of *current* binaries for the Mac?
04-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, LR3.4 with Camera Raw 6.3 is out. I was notified it should include the fix for both the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K5 with purple color casts to Multiple Exposure RAW images.

With a brief test, it seems to work.... but the Pentax profile continues to give a deep purple color cast.
The default Adobe Standard profile, along with my custom profiles designed with ColorChecker Passort seems to work just fine.

I guess I need to do more tests for accuracy, but at least the one image I did take was actually pretty much grey-neutral.

So grab the latest update and see if that fixes the problems.

I am quite pleasantly surprised that Adobe fixed a problem for PENTAX and actually notified me of the fix.
04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please excuse my ignorence here, but I saw a post in another thread which may be related, and which has confuesd me about this issue.

Has anyone yet discussed whether HDR output is available in anything other than JPEG? Is the OP trying HDR.

The K7 manual specifically states HDR is only available with JPEG output.

Am I way off track here?

04-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just like the K7, HDR Capture is only available in JPG on the K5.

04-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Is the OP trying HDR.
No, not HDR but Multiple Exposure. Some say MultiExposure can be used to simulate HDR and have had decent results under some circumstances but I have not tried for the effect.

My initial intent was to extend the exposure mainly for smoothing of moving water over a series of shorter images, (due to being unable to extend my exposure time any further in bright light and lack of more ND filters)... which it did pretty well.