Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Lightning capture w Optical flash trigger?

Are any simple optical flash flash slave triggers like this:

sensitive enough to capture lightning at night when set up to just close the remote switch?

03-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried but it didn't work

I have considered modifying it to increase the sensitivity and also have considered using an AM radio and the electrical static from the discharge to trigger the camera
03-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
have considered using an AM radio and the electrica
l static from the discharge to trigger the camera
Great idea!

I asked a vendor about optical slave switches & he said no as well. It'd probably be easy to build something from scratch with a photo diode.

I've no pressing need and was just curious. I'm also casually looking for an audio switch... I suppose I'd assemble a kit if I really have to

I modified a PIR detector to trigger on living things & that worked well.
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If it gets to the point of soldering things together you might consider a LDR as well; simple in concept, the resistance is rather low when light falls on the active patch, rather high when not. Might need a bit more than the plain LDR, but *might* work with that alone depending ...

03-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In reality the circuit is in 2 parts, a trigger and a switch. The switch is a simple Darlington transistor to operate the camera shutter input. The trigger is anything that can inject any current into the base of the Darlington transistor.

I have considered a photodiode but that means that you need light from the main strike and you then need to deal with the shutter delay. I figure you could take the earphone jack from an AM radio and then tune to an oPen frequency and trip the shutter from the static of the stepped leader prior to the main strike. The only problem is triggering on broadcast static from strikes outside the visible range of the camera