Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Smudge on mirror...dust that won't go away

Hi

I see there are other posts concerning smudges on the mirror, but I wanted to double check the responses...?

I opened my K-x today to swap lenses and there was a pretty decent smudge..I have absolutely NO idea how it got there, it isn't finger grease, it looks like green stuff (???!)- the only time I open the K-x is to swap lenses and I've had the zoom on for about 3 weeks now. There was NO smudge when I put it on. How it got there...?
I guess its irrelevant -- Every response says to leave it..it doesn't affect the photos. True?
Options?

Also dust alert shows quite a bit of dust on the CMOS -There is a CMOS cleaning kit from Pentax...they also offer cleaning services. What will a camera shop do that I cannot with their cleaner kit, or is it that easy to scratch the CMOSr?? I mean there has to be a way to clean it right?

Also I have a dust spec I see on the viewfinder-- cleaned the sensor w/ the shaker thing, blew/brushed lenses and UV filters, blew out mirror compartment ( did not raise mirror...) and lo and behold, it is STILL there. I don't seem to have it in photos...I just took a new batch I need to check. How??...Where could this pesky dust thing be? I cleaned the viewfinder too...

Dust..there is way too much where I live, like you can polish a desk off and 10 mins later there's a film on it...terrible downtown area.

Thanks for suggestions. I have no money for a 'pro cleaning' really...thats why I'm trying to find a solution I can manage, if it exists.

03-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your private messages.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

03-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Jeff, that's the most comprehensive tutorial on dust removal I've read. It really warrants being made a Sticky.
03-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Jeff, that's the most comprehensive tutorial on dust removal I've read. It really warrants being made a Sticky.
I agree but Adam decided against it so there it is stuck in article land where it's only seen when I point it out.

03-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jeff..read your article and responded to your PM.

Thanks for the advice...it seems to have worked perfect. After a few test shots in a bit we'll know for sure but smudge is quite GONE.....
thanks!!
03-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I agree but Adam decided against it so there it is stuck in article land where it's only seen when I point it out.

Ive seen this in action several times! He doesnt need to sticky it because he has you
03-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the good ol' days of the K100D, dust was a nightmare to remove.
Be thankful now that even today's entry-level models have sensor coatings that are responsive to the simplest of blowing techniques.
The K-x should come up quite nicely with one round of rocket blowing.
03-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Back in the good ol' days of the K100D, dust was a nightmare to remove.
Be thankful now that even today's entry-level models have sensor coatings that are responsive to the simplest of blowing techniques.
The K-x should come up quite nicely with one round of rocket blowing.
My K-r is covered in dust, almost looks like a couple of stain marks too, maybe not. Im gonna get it done at a shop this time and buy a rocket blower for future general maintenance, I supposed I should keep my sensor shake on startup too. I always wonder where that dust goes if it does fall off...

03-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
My K-r is covered in dust, almost looks like a couple of stain marks too, maybe not. Im gonna get it done at a shop this time and buy a rocket blower for future general maintenance, I supposed I should keep my sensor shake on startup too. I always wonder where that dust goes if it does fall off...
To a sticky tape at the bottom of the lens chamber.

03-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Ahhhh!
04-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I always thought the dust went out the little blower on the side of the camera...no?? :-)