Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I must say, I have shot a few jpegs and minor pp work tweaks are no problem. But if they are underexposed the jpeg can't handle the PP work. This weekend I hope to get a few hours to go out shooting and I intend to shoot RAW+ so I can see what I can do with both.

03-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is my argument for RAW:

It's taken with an IR filter, so the information in each color channel varies wildly. It really helps to have the maximum information because IR colors aren't real anyway. These images need a lot of processing. I also revisited this 4 year old image because I got new noise reduction software that works at the RAW file stage.

I think I learned something from processing every photo. I like the information I get from Adobe Camera RAW.

Most of my images would be fine in JPG, but RAW doesn't seem that much extra trouble at my current photo rate.
03-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #63
Veteran Member

A quiz to pass the time!

The numbered images below are a mixture of raw & jpeg - Which are raw (DNG or NEF converted in Lightroom/ACR) and which are JPEG (with some minimal +sharpness in-camera and possibly slight PP in picasa) ?

04-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #64
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jay, it'd be a guess with your work, knowing you expose your shots well...
And as a result, RAW vs. JPEG is much of a muchness with adequate exposures.
Even still, I shoot RAW.

04-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I wonder if the OP has given up yet with this thread?
Possibly, or maybe he has discovered the other 864 threads on this forum which have beaten to death the very same subject and almost verbatim the very same question posed.

Jason
04-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
first of all, let's get rid of th ebiggest myth out there. RAW data is NOT data right off the sensor.

If it were, it would be a series of varrying intensity red, green and blue dots.
Your wrong and right. RAW files actually do contain a series of varying intensity red, green and blue dot values. The RAW converter "dcraw" has a switch which allows you to see all the dot values before demosaicing.

That's part of the beauty of RAW files; you can re-develop them years later with better demosaicing algorithms, better noise reduction, etc. Lightroom's 2010 raw converter is much better than its predecessor. If someone wanted to, they could redevelop a RAW file with visibly better results (depending on print size, of course).

You are still right in that the data in a RAW files is not 1:1 what comes from the sensor. Many manufacturers have some built-in, non-optional noise reduction that is applied at higher ISO levels even to the RAW data. There will be hot-pixel mapping, etc.

However, it is the "dot data" before demosaicing.
04-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The numbered images below are a mixture of raw & jpeg
Great shots, Jay!
04-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #68
A-z
Forum Member

I haven't tried shooting raw yet, I will at some point.

For the moment though, underexposed jpegs seem to be workable to an adequate level. This has been printed 18x12 inches and looks really good!

(although the jpeg upload here sucks )

1st pic is straight from camera

Attached Images

Last edited by A-z; 04-01-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #69
Veteran Member

The numbered images below are a mixture of raw & jpeg - Which are raw (DNG or NEF converted in Lightroom/ACR) and which are JPEG (with some minimal +sharpness in-camera and possibly slight PP in picasa) ?
They are all jpeg, browsers can't view RAW files Also converting to a RAW then downsizing them to web size puts them on a pretty level field regardless doesn't it?
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #70
Site Supporter

I think you need to look at the original and the final output for that kind of determination. If you don't know where it started you can't see how far it came. But, I'm probably not a good judge, anyway.