Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Portrait photo viewing in Windows

A simple question. When I take a JPEG photo as a portrait shape, the K-7 camera viewing option remember the portrait orientation. Similarly, when I import the JPEG photo in PDCU, PDCU remember the portrait orientation.

Why doesn't Windows (XP, 7) remember the JPEG photo portrait orientation when I transfer the shot directly the photograph from the K-7 to the computer ? In other word, if I view the shot with Windows photo viewer, the shot is always 'landscape' oriented.

PS: I know that I can use PDCU and 'Save as' the photo as portrait oriented shot, and I can then view the shot as a Portrait in Windows photo viewer.

Thank you in advance for any advice and simple explanation.

03-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe it's time to change the viewer? I've been using Irfanview for, well forever and it displays Pentax images in their correct orientation. On the other hand, images taken with Panasonic DMC FZ-1, are always displayed in landscape mode. My friends and relatives' digital camera manufactured later than the Panasonic are also displayed correctly. I could only surmise that in my case it's camera specific - Panasonic is missing the code that tells Irfanview to display portrait mode images in the correct orientation.

I guess in your case, Windows viewer do not recognize the code from Pentax images or the code is stripped when viewed. I don't know anything about programming but this is all I could think of...

Thanks,
03-24-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If I use EXIFToolGui, the Orientation in one displayed on it's side in Internet Explorer is 'Rotate 270 CW' - and it displays on it's side in that interface as well. I suspect that Pentax have used a non-standard way of encoding it without making that public, so fussy things like Bridge won't interpret it since what it means isn't published for that type of RAW, but things like IrfanView whose developers are willing to 'suck and see' do.

This is certainly true of some of the rest of the EXIF in a PEF (no idea about a DNG) - the Drive Mode for example. According to a somewhat stroppy exchange in an Adobe forum, Pentax haven't published details of what the encoding means so Bridge doesn't show it.
03-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
A simple question. ...

Why doesn't Windows (XP, 7) remember the JPEG photo portrait orientation when I transfer the shot directly the photograph from the K-7 to the computer ? In other word, if I view the shot with Windows photo viewer, the shot is always 'landscape' oriented.
You need to ask Microsoft that question.

What you mention is just one reason why MS inbuilt utilities are as popular as HIV for anyone with more that 3 months computing experience.

Reasons: M.S design software by lowest common denominator methods, for an equally L.C.D audience; always along proprietary lines and avoid implementing industry standards & practices, or any simple proven innovation.
IOW: they will eventually wake up and put that feature in about 2018, and then claim that they invented it.

The Fix: Find yourself a safe, secure, capable and quick Freeware image handler ( like Faststone Viewer, http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm ) that does support the basic Auto Rotate By Exif Orientation Tag function and associate it system-wide in the O.S with all gfx files.
Sorry, FS.V won't replicate malware through your system or over the Internet for you, but it will make your graphics viewing life less of an exercise in masochism.

.R. -- It's all a simple matter of either being part of the solution; or continuing to be part of the problem.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-24-2011 at 05:16 AM.
03-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Windows Picture Viewer doesn't recognize orientation information.
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Catsfive: I suspect that you are right: "Pentax have used a non-standard way of encoding it". That would be silly but make sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Windows Picture Viewer doesn't recognize orientation information.
Wheatfield: could you elaborate? I am not sure to follow you. If I use PDCU and save a Pentax photo in a portrait orientation, Windows Picture viewer does show it with a Portrait orientation. Obviously Windows Picture Viewer can recognise some orientation information...
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Adobe Bridge does get it right.
03-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

Wheatfield: could you elaborate? I am not sure to follow you. If I use PDCU and save a Pentax photo in a portrait orientation, Windows Picture viewer does show it with a Portrait orientation. Obviously Windows Picture Viewer can recognise some orientation information...
K, they've fixed something about it over the past few years. Last time I had to use that as a viewer it wouldn't recognize orientation information at all.

03-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The camera saves a tag in the EXIF data that says how to rotate the image when it's displayed. Good software will show the image correctly (this is a standard, not pentax proprietary field). The problem with the Windows viewer is that it does not use this tag. When you use PDCU and do a save as, it creates a new file and writes the image data in the correct orientation.

To elaborate, computer software paints from the upper left to the lower right and this is how the data is organized in the file. When the orientation flag is set to standard portrait, the software paints from lower left to upper right, causing the image to be rotated into its correct orientation. What PDCU is doing is reading the orientation data and when it writes the file out again, it writes the pixel data in a way such that it paints the "normal" way. Rotating images in this way with JPEGs is a lossy process, this is why pentax and other good software uses the orientation flag so rotations can be done with out decompressing and recompressing (adding additional loss of detail).
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks L33tgreg for the insight. Quite hepful.....