Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

My New (to me) Pentax Collection

Hey folks, I received and incredible camera and lens collection. What I received as far as Pentax is listed below. I also received a couple each of Mamiya, Canon, Rollei TLR's The Pentax cameras are in good, some excellent condition. The lenses are all excellent+, maybe even like new. Most have cases (except the ones mounted on cameras).

I have some intital thoughts and questions, sorry so many:
I'm considering a Pentax DSLR to use the lenses. I realize they are all manual focus (except one of the 50mm 1.4's). It looks like this site has a great database of cameras and lenses, so I'll start there to see what I can learn.

Has anyone else bought a Pentax DSLR in order to use a collection of old gear? I currently have a Nikon D300 and various gear, so I am already "set" with everyday use gear. I suppose in the end, I am the only one to decide, but I am looking for anyone that might have something to say about a similar experience, or your opinions on any items in this collection of gear.

Odd question since I have not shot a film SLR. Where do I learn to use the gear? (metering). Do I use a hand held meter, or could I use my Nikon to help me determine the settings, then set the old film slr the same? I am guessing the SF1 has a meter, not sure about the others.

I'll have to start looking for manuals for these cameras. Does anyone know a source?

Cameras
H3V
LX (w/grip)
2 x MX (one w/ grip)
2 x ME Super (one w/grip)
SF1

Lenses
17mm Fish Eye f/4 K
20mm f/4 M
24mm f/2.8 K
28mm f/3.5 M42 Super Takumar
28mm f/2.8 M
35mm f/2 M
40mm f/2.8 M
50mm f/1.4 F
50mm f/1.4 M
50mm f/1.7 M
50mm f/2 M
50mm f/2 M ( a second one)
50mm Macro f/4 M
55mm f/1.8 M42 Super Takumar
85mm f/2 M
105mm f/2.8 M42 Super Takumar
100mm f/2.8 M
100mm Macro f/4 M
100mm Macro f/2.8 A
120mm f/2.8 M
135mm f/3.5 M
150mm f/3.5 M
200mm f/4 M
300mm f/4 M*

Pentax 6 x7
105mm f/2.8 Takumar 6x7
135mm Macro f/4 Takumar 6x7
165mm f/2.8 6x7

Also a bellows kit and other Pentax odds and ends.

03-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a site where a guy has scanned all the camera manuals- a google search for that should prove fruitful.

As far as DSLRs go, they're actually all compatible with all the lenses you've listed (that A macro is an excellent lens, btw). You should probably be looking into a K-5 or a K-r, depending on if you need the best IQ/more advanced features (k5) or to get the most bang for your buck (Kx).
03-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

OMG. How many people did you kill to acquire this collection?!

I think a lot of people here, myself included, have old manual lenses that they use on new pentax dslrs. They work perfectly. It really comes down to your preference between film and digital.

Also, if you wanted to sell that fisheye, let me know!
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Holy smoke nice kit
As adam said all those will be compatible. I shoot almost entirely old manual lenses most pre A

the mx and me have built in meters (center weighted) and are pretty accurate if they are working (you'll need new batteries likely)
you may want to consider sending one or 2 bodies to Eric (on the forum ) for a CLA he does great work and a properly CLA'd mx is probably good for another 10-15 year trouble free.

The LX is well worth doing a CLA on it is one of the finest film SLRS i've ried (and recoups CLA cost 4 x over on the used market

the site for manuals is butkus.org i think

he should have manuals for all the cameras you got not just the pentax

If your selling off the Medium format (the mamiya and rollei) PM me, I still shoot MF and might be interested depending on what you have as would a few others here i'm sure

03-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Jesus, that's a hell of a kit. Drooling over that A100/2.8 macro...
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Jesus, that's a hell of a kit. Drooling over that A100/2.8 macro...
aside from the few i have in common i'm drooling over most of the kit
there are at least 6 lenses there on my short list of wants though some would be more than i could afford i'm sure
03-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's the site for manuals.

PENTAX MANUALS

Insanely jealous of your collection.

03-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll check into this CLA, how much does that run? I guess I'll check with that guy you mentioned.

Do you suggest a CLA (Is that Clean and Adjustment?) even if I discover a camera is working? Kind of a solid stamp of "ready to go"?

If I decide to sell anything I'll PM those of you that have mentioned it.

Are the prices in the lens database current market average, or is that some other price history that is out of date?

Thanks for jumping in everyone, I am obviously pretty excited, and incredibly thankful for receiving these gifts. Glad I can discuss the equipment here.
03-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

CLA = Clean lube adjust. Eric is a master and very reasonable. it's cheaper for me to send it to Tennessee to him than to get the couple of remaining local guys to do it
and he does a better job
if the camera is working monitor your negs closely for light leaks. it would be highly unusual for a camera the age of the ones listed not to need one to work at its best (the mirror foam get's sticky and jams the mirror for instance, the light seals deteriorate and you get light leaks, the shutter starts to gum up with assorted detritus and becomes inaccurate, the light meter needs calibration occasionally. remember all those cameras are now a minimum of 20-40 years old and depending on how they were used may or may not have ever seen a CLA (i'm guessing it was from a pro relative or at least an enthusiast amateur so most may have seen one at some point)
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

eric is on the forum here

View Profile: EricTn - PentaxForums.com
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congratulations on receiving the photography equipment. Now please leave the forum now that you have made us all so upset that we begin a hard search of every pawn shop, estate sale and thrift store in efforts to settle our self esteem and quell our addictions of buying lenses.

Again, congratulations. And welcome to an amazing community.
03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by myfotoguy Quote
Are the prices in the lens database current market average, or is that some other price history that is out of date?
They are generally quite accurate, but if anything, the prices are lower than the going rate. I just saw a A50 1.2 with bids at $750 and 2 days left, and it even has a dent on the filter thread! So happy I got mine at 560 in perfect condition just a few months ago.

I hate to say this (since I've been looking for a the K17mm fisheye for so long), but if you have a strong desire to someday use these lenses and don't need the money, I'd suggest keeping them. The prices seem to keep going up, especially with the lenses with no direct substitute being produced today by Pentax.
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow! That is an amazing collection.

The only camera in that list that does NOT have a built-in meter, is the H3v.

The MX and ME Super are both aperture-priority cameras. Both have manual mode, as well.

The LX, I believe, can do either aperture-priority or shutter-priority. Many consider this to be the best film SLR that Pentax ever made. It is by far, the most valuable of the cameras in your list.
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

The LX, I believe, can do either aperture-priority or shutter-priority. Many consider this to be the best film SLR that Pentax ever made. It is by far, the most valuable of the cameras in your list.
Of course this isn't the whole list there are some rolleis and mamiya
Rollei there is a resident expert who restores them, JeffJS (rolleiman on the auction site)
03-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What a quantum leap!
I'm still missing a lot from this manual kit.
Nice starter kit ;-)

and Hey pass over to me the macros, the 120, the 300, 17, 20, 24...

Back to OP question:
Yes I have been waiting for a FF body for so long time, and use Canon for 7 years, but back to Pentax dslr in 2009

Last edited by hoanpham; 03-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.