Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Are the little spring flowers blooming now in your neck of the woods? If so, I would go with the 18-55 because you can focus VERY close with it. Good for getting shots of the tiny flowers that bloom this time of year.

This lil' bloom was about the size of a quarter, and I shot it with the 18-55 version I.
I fully agree with what Stratman says. And would like to suggest that easily the best "gear" investment one can ever make for BOTH the 18-55 and the 55-300 that will enhance their versatility to do stunning, real macro-standard justice to subjects like those gorgeous flowers, will cost a mere USD42.95 -- simple to use, great image quality and compact enough to still allow for a lightweight, single-lens outing too.

DCR150 Raynox DCR-150, Macro-Scan 1.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens, with Snap-on Universal Mount for 52mm to 67mm Filter Diameters.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-25-2011 at 05:38 PM.
03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, Hypocorism.

I actually have the Raynox 150 but have not yet tried it with my new K-r. I used it with my old Fuji S100fs zoom and it was pretty amazing, but I found it a bit tricky to get stuff in focus.

I look forward to trying it out with my new camera! In fact, I see no reason I can't take it with me into the woods.
03-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took the 18-55mm out today into the woods. There's not a lot going on yet. Still not far enough into spring for many flowers to be blooming. I'll have to make the trip again a little later.

I did run into the old barn...

And I thought this b&w silhouette of trees against sky was nice and brooding.
03-26-2011, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #19

I would pick the 55-300mm no matter where I am going - it is the lens I take everywhere. I have the Raynox-150 to allow me to get "really close", but find that the zoom is usually enough. I can easily take pictures similar to those above of small flowers just by backing up and zooming in. I love birds and wildlife, so I am almost always wanting the longest reach I can get. If I am taking landscapes, 55mm is usually wide enough and, if it isn't, I just take multiple shots and stitch them together! Even at the Grand Canyon, I used the 55-300mm (tried the wider angle lens and took it off!) and used panorama software for the wide shots and loved the ability to zoom in on specific rock formations, small flowers, the moon, birds, etc.

03-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Decide beforehand what type of shots you want and take only 1 lens. Force yourself to take shots with that lens, and you might learn a little. Next time take the other lens and do the same. I do this all the time. Sure you might miss some shots. I do. I find that my ability to get close to birds is inversely proportional to the lens I take. This morning I took my newly acquired M35F2 and of course I had a group of chickadees within 6 feet. Last week I had a 300F4 and saw nothing