Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
lens stuck on camera

i stupidly put what i thought was a K pentax lens on my k-5, but it is a KR mount, is there a site that shows photos of the different pentax mounts so i don't get another lens stuck? had to send the camera to be serviced, didn't want to break anything.
thanks.

03-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Some other have had this problem on this forum, just do a search for stuck ricoh lens. Other than sending it away to get fixed you can get automotive feeler gauge, index card, or something that can be placed between the lens and camera mount at the location of the pin to press in the pin while gently turning the lens.
03-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are threads about it..and if it happens again you can slide something thin to unblock the pin.
Use the search...i recal something like "the deadly Ricoh pin"
you will find lots of material..and instructions on how to remove the pin..i had a lens KR and removed it, quite easy really.
And you can always read on the lens if it's a KR (and see the pin).
Congrats on your K5.
03-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here's one. This one will get stuck:

Here's another. This one does not get stuck because the pin has a rounded head (or is actually a ball):

03-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never seen that nasty little devil in the first picture.

The ball one, second picture, will hang but usually come off.

@Coeurdechene Is it really that easy? No springs and parts flying when you take the screws out. I have a 2x converter I would like to mod. I have read and book marked the illustrated guide. I just need to find time to sit down and do it.
03-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks, so THAT is what the ricoh pin is? couldn't find a picture of it, that helps a lot-- i have another lens, a quantary, that only has a single blade that seems to control the aperture , but no inner wider ring as on most of my other pentax lenses, how can i tell what lens mount this lens is? it is supposedly for pentax.
thanks.
03-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
actually, now that i look again the quantary looks more like the second picture , whereas most of my other ( three ) lenses , have that second fin. what mount is that one ( not the tamron but the rounded pin head one ) ? thanks, you guys are great !

03-25-2011, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Is it really that easy?
Piece of cake there are some guides out there...but there's no difficult things to do. Just be really carefull, good light, no rush, there are parts that can fall/"jump" of the lens body but won't if you unscrew and remove the mount gently.(with the lens facing down of course)

one of the many guides, this one with fine pictures:
theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

Edit..mmmread your last part don't worry if you are carefull it's an easy, harmless mod.
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
coeurdechene, thanks for that link, good article, kinda scary to think of taking apart one of these lenses, but maybe i'll practice on a not so good lens. thanks.
03-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
thanks for that link
You're welcome...
but who deserves those thanks is Robin Parmar, he's in the forums too.
(and got some cool articles in that page).

oh and don't worry, it's a very easy mod. In fact if you got a cheap, "not usable", or terrible IQ you should open it up just for fun, maybe a litle experiment, i did it with a damaged one and have been playing with it a long time (removed glass, took photos, put color transparen sheets, took photos, did a pinhole with plastic thing, took photos...it's been heaps of fun).
03-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
ok, i'm gonna take apart a lens then, and thank you too SOldBear for the photos, that is a big help.
03-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's actually easy to take off the offending pin.
It would be a piece of cake.
Just make sure that you take everything out carefully and remember how to reverse the process to put it back together.
I have done a couple of this already and it has become SOP if ever I buy a lens that has the "PKR" mount designation on it.
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #13

I've read many posts about this problem and can't understand it. I have one lens - a Tokina 60-300 - with the Ricoh pin and the pin only protrudes when the aperture ring is turned to A. I always mount/unmount it with A disengaged so the problem has never arisen. If it did stick I'd just release the aperture ring to free it. Am I missing something?
03-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
only protrudes when the aperture ring is turned to A.
Not all the lenses have the same behaviour...some people have reported using ricoh lneses with the ricoh pin, without their lens getting stuck. With some, as you state, turning the aperture ring is enough, some will move if you apply to them a slight pressure...but some won't. Those you have to put a thin thing between the pin and the body and turn.
So just to not experience that hassle it's easier to remove the offending pin since it's something simple to do.
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #15

Original Poster
well, i have stripped one phillips head screwhead on my trial lens for taking out the ricoh pin, one screw just wouldn't turn.... so any ideas? guess i can get a cheap lens to try again.