Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

Batteries Not Working

I have a K-x that I purchased new towards the end of last year. The batteries that came with it worked fine until they ran their course, then, in a pinch, I replaced them with plain old high quality "AA's". When those recently ran out I decided to go the NiMH (which everyone seems to recommend) route to ensure long-lasting picture taking. However, none of these appear to work and my camera is now an expensive paper weight.

A few days ago I inserted 4 brand new AC Delco NiMH batteries. I was able to take a couple dozen pictures or so and then I started getting low battery warnings, then the camera died altogether. I recharged them on two separate occasions, but had the same problem. Figuring I got a bad batch of batteries I threw them away and bought 4 brand new Eneloops. Using the Eneloops the camera stayed on for about 5 minutes, then the battery warning again, the battery indicator flashed red, then dead again. I guess I'll throw these away and try to go back to plain old AA's again. Frustrating experience.

Do I need to send my camera somewhere for repair since supposedly high quality NiMH batteries seem to be useless? Anyone have any advice?

03-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm no Kx expert but I think what you need to do is update your firmware. If I remember correctly there was an early on issue with the camera not properly identifying the types of batteries and thus giving the low battery warnings with fully charged batteries.

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

03-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff for the tip. The firmware upgrade seems to have done the trick. Was not aware one was even available. As a test I left the camera on for 30 min and still have a solid green battery indicator. A good sign...
03-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The firmware update with Eneloops should do it. Results with generic NIMHs seem to vary, lithium batteries are also very good, regular alkalines do not last very long. With NIMHs many also advocate a charger that charges the cells individually for best results.