Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

K20d internal flash dead?

I have a K20D that's almost three years old. Two days ago, while shooting some rather mundane pictures inside, the internal flash just stopped working. I have tried everything I can think of that might be related and nothing seems to work. I have tried both manual and green mode. The flash indicator in the view finder and LCD indicate the flash should be going off, but it doesn't and the pictures end up very dark.

I have gone through the manual and I really don't see any setting that would cause this. My external flash seems to work right. It does seem like the camera knows when to and not to use the flash in green mode, but the flash simply doesn't go off.

03-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, any luck there? It's possible for a flash tube to simply go, just like a light bulb. Not terribly common with pop-ups, it seems, but possible) What external flash are you using, incidentally? (And was that involved when the built-in failed? )
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Early on, the K10d had a similar problem. Most often, it occurred while firing the modeling strobe (their shitty af assist).

Is your External a P-TTL flash or is it just one you use in auto mode (or similar)? If it's a P-TTL and it's working, I think we can rule out the camera circuitry and RML is probably right, The flash tube is roached.

03-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Early on, the K10d had a similar problem. Most often, it occurred while firing the modeling strobe (their shitty af assist).

Is your External a P-TTL flash or is it just one you use in auto mode (or similar)? If it's a P-TTL and it's working, I think we can rule out the camera circuitry and RML is probably right, The flash tube is roached.

You're lucky it just burned out, when my brand new k10d flash went, it fried the main circuit board. I am leery of using the built in flash on the cameras that have them now.

03-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
You're lucky it just burned out, when my brand new k10d flash went, it fried the main circuit board. I am leery of using the built in flash on the cameras that have them now.
I'm even luckier. Mine never quit but then again, I barely used it. I bought a 540 within weeks of buying the camera and barely used the built in flash. In part because I hate the built in flash on most cameras and in part because of all the fried tube reports I was reading at the time. The camera was sold nearly 3 years ago and the AF540 is still going strong.

03-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
The external flash is a Promaster 7500EDF and was not involved. I have used the two together, but not often, not in a few months and not this time around. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support P-TTL.
My local camera shop, Kadair's, where I purchased the camera from in 2008 took a quick look and they're not certain if it is the flash itself or the circuitry. They don't really get involved with the mechanics/electronics. I did get the extended warranty on it and they're going to ship it off for me to Pentax as soon as I decide when I can part with it for three weeks.
03-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Then you're good to go. Good luck with it..

03-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
Depending on what I get back from Pentax I'll post an update. The flash itself appears fine, but we'll see.