Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

Hello

Hey, I'm Betsy.. I hope to get some help while I am on here. I have a Pentax F2000 and I am trying to download my pics.....Before I would just plug in the card into the card reader in the front of my PC and there would be various "drives" under "My Computer". I would click on one of these and the folder "DCIM" would be under there where all my pics are. Now for some reason those drives are not there. So I have tried to connect with the USB cable and I still can't get it to pull up my pictures. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

03-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard Betsy!

Can we assume you're able to take and review photos on the camera with this card? It Sounds to me, like your card isn't being recognized by your computer. It'll probably cost you some photos but I would suggest formatting the card..

03-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Betsy!
Before you do anything else.
Use your card reader (that you plug into the computer) and test some other (SD) memory cards itself.
If all the cards you test behave the same, then the card reader might not be working right.
With the same as above, go to "my computer" (icon with computer) then double click on that.
See, if the SD drive is displayed here 'coz at times it might not come out or auto-start once you plug-in the card reader.
If you see the "SD card/memory card" icon in "my computer" then you can double click on it and it will show the DCIM thing.
If that still doesn't work, update your computer or make sure that all the drivers or software (I'm assuming Microsoft windows) is up to date.
If this still fails, don't reformat your memory card yet or lose all the photos in it!
Go to your local Walmart or CVS or Walgreens or whatever store that has a photo printing dept in it..the kiosk type.
Just put in your SD card in one of those kiosks and see if it "reads" the memory card..if it does, then the computer or the card reader is at fault.
Since you are already there, copy the files (if it reads) in the memory card onto a CD since putting the memory card back and forth onto a faulty card reader may erase what's in it! Better to have a back-up than regret of knowing you could have saved those photos.
You can take it from there if you have to buy a new card reader or find out what's wrong with the computer.
I know how it is to lose photos 'coz those are memories.
I would rather find out how to save the photos (memories) first before finding the memory card at fault immediately.
03-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Betsy!

03-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the information. I will try the reader thing first to see if it is my card reader. I would hate to lose these pics because they are of my daughter's first school dance. I really appreciate all the help. This is a great forum! Have a great rest of the weekend !
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes I can do both take pics and review them on the camera...
03-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Being able to view your pics with the camera would seem to indicate that the problem is with the computer. Trying the card with another computer. Your computer not working with the camera connected with the cable might mean that the computer has managed to get confused about external USB drives or maybe the USB interface inside is bust (the integrated reader is often connected with this as well). Does any USB device (e.g. mouse, printer) work?

(Welcome, BTW )
03-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Can we assume you're able to take and review photos on the camera with this card? It Sounds to me, like your card isn't being recognized by your computer. It'll probably cost you some photos but I would suggest formatting the card..
I recommend trying the other ideas before formatting your card.