Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 27
sigma 105mm macro?

i've read about true 1 to 1 macro.on the tube of my lens, sigma 105mm macro there is a scale ,white for auto ,yellow for manual. if in manual to get true 1 to 1 do i turn the lens to1:1 and then move in or out to focus or do the #S mean something else. 1:1 ,1:1.2, 1:1.5, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 are the#s listed .again ,thanks for all the help, scott

Attached Images
 

Last edited by scottyboy; 03-26-2011 at 12:15 PM.
03-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 124
I have this lens, and you've got it right: if you want to use a specific magnification ratio you'd set the lens to manual focus and adjust it to the desired ratio. To focus, you move the camera & lens closer/farther away from your subject. When shooting a static subject I find it quicker to set the camera on a tripod and move the subject to focus--but then I'm also too cheap to buy/make a focus rail on which to mount the camera. For auto-focus I only find the lens markings useful after I've taken the picture. Hope that helps!
03-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I have this lens, and you've got it right: if you want to use a specific magnification ratio you'd set the lens to manual focus and adjust it to the desired ratio. To focus, you move the camera & lens closer/farther away from your subject. When shooting a static subject I find it quicker to set the camera on a tripod and move the subject to focus--but then I'm also too cheap to buy/make a focus rail on which to mount the camera. For auto-focus I only find the lens markings useful after I've taken the picture. Hope that helps!
thanks ,its been on my mind but didn't want to seem like a total idiot.finally sucked it up and asked.didn't know they made a rail but can see where it would come in handy.
03-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 124
QuoteOriginally posted by scottyboy Quote
thanks ,its been on my mind but didn't want to seem like a total idiot.finally sucked it up and asked.didn't know they made a rail but can see where it would come in handy.
I've certainly been a total idiot on many occasions--to my mind, I'd rather be an idiot it on the forum than when I'm out shooting! (Not to imply that I've managed to avoid the latter, of course!) If you plan on doing much macro shooting you might check out the Macro group on this site--there's some helpful and interesting stuff there from members far more knowledgeable than I am.

03-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian
littledrawe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Rock
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,434
I know I can check the reviews but while we have your attention... what are your impressions of this lens??
03-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I know I can check the reviews but while we have your attention... what are your impressions of this lens??


i think its a quality item ,metal, heavy.i'm new to slr/dslr but i say very nice lens.mine is EX MODEL.NOT THE NEWER MODEL.Haven't made it out much as winter is still here but i did get this a couple of weeks ago.heavy is 1 thing i read some people don't care for.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by scottyboy; 03-28-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
105mm, camera, lens, pentax help, photography, sigma, sigma 105mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro + EM-140 DG macro flash (Worldwide) EricR Sold Items 2 03-20-2011 04:16 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Tamron 90mm Macro or Sigma 105mm Macro (AUS) Pixley Sold Items 2 09-28-2010 08:32 PM
Sigma 105mm EX DG macro? Blue Ask B&H Photo! 2 09-15-2010 08:04 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Vivitar S1 105mm 2.5 Macro 1:1 jjdgti Sold Items 17 08-02-2010 11:05 AM
K-7 and Sigma 105mm EX macro (non DG) Althor33 Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 06-18-2010 10:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top