Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Continuous action shot help (kx)

Hey All,

I'm an SLR and general camera neophyte who recently bought a kx with 18-55mm kit lens. I hope to take continuous action shots for sports but can only get the shutter speed to 1/180 and seem to have problem getting multiple shots to fire on command. Could someone briefly tell me their settings / how to capture reliably fast and consecutive shots.

Thanks,

Malcolm

03-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting with flash? If so, the maximum shutter speed for the built-in flash is 1/180th.

The shutter speed shouldn't matter too much for consecutive shooting, though- just make sure your camera is in AF.C mode!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like Adam said if you shut off the flash you will be able to get a faster shutter speed. You will also need a relatively fast SD card. I have a class 6 and it is plenty fast. A class 4 will probably work but would not go lower than that. Also make sure you are shooting in Continuous Hi, all the corrections are turned off and decide whether you want to shoot RAW or Jpeg.
03-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 with Kblaze in different words:

* set the camera to Hi Continous shooting

* switch off all (ALL) in-camera PP incl. lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction, ...

* have a fast card (preferably a class 10)

* if you want to shoot long bursts (> 5 shots), select a JPEG file format, such that the file size times 5 fps be smaller than the card tranfer rate.

There are stil some debate whether AF.C, AF.S or MF is best. I tend to favor AF.S or MF, the latter being definitely the better choice in low light.

If you shoot in low light, you may also consider a faster lens. The kit lens 18-55 is not particularly fast. A large aperture lens (low f) will allow more light into the sensor and allow you to shoot better photographs in low lights. These large aperture lenses are called fast lenses. The fastest lenses are typicaly the fast primes: large aperture and single focal length (eg 50mm f1.4).

Hope that the comments will help.

03-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. To set flash off do I turn the knob that blocks flash? Is there another way to do this then adjust shutter speed?

Also, is a transcend class 6 decent enough or should I upgrade?
03-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Having avoided AF-C for the first year of K-x ownership because I believed the negative hype around Pentax AF tracking, now I couldn't do without it. AF-C on the K-x is very well suited to sports, I think it does a terrific job, and I get a far higher keeper rate using AF-C than AF-S or MF.

So I agree with all the things hcc has posted above except for the focusing mode. It may be personal preference though.
03-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creigm Quote
Thanks. To set flash off do I turn the knob that blocks flash? Is there another way to do this then adjust shutter speed?

Also, is a transcend class 6 decent enough or should I upgrade?
Class 6 is fine, Class 10 is better but only if you are going to shoot 8+ shot bursts.

The way to shut off the flash is to get out of green auto mode, as in that mode it decided for you whether flash should be used. Put the camera in "P" mode which is almost the same as green auto except it will not use the flash unless you tell it to (by popping it up).
03-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Great, so I want to go to the "P" mode and switch it to AF.C and I should be OK? I kinda want the sports continuous setting with no flash, quick shots if possible.

03-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great, so I want to go to the "P" mode and switch it to AF.C and I should be OK? I kinda want the sports continuous setting with no flash, quick shots if possible.
I would shoot in TV mode with a shutter speed of 1/250 or higher.
03-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

1) Yes, put in "P" mode to disable flash

2) AF-C to give the auto focus a better chance to get in focus shots.

Also

3) Change "drive mode" to Hi continuous mode (access via button immediately above "OK" button)

4) Change to JPEG if you are shoot RAW (unlikely I'm guessing)

5) Switch off in camera corrections if any are enabled (eg distortion and CA correction).

That seems a lot but you need to get familair with your camera anyway, and these changes take maybe 10 seconds to make once you are.

EDIT: An alternate idea is to switch the camera to "Sport" mode on the mode dial. It's one of the beginner scene modes. I don't know exactly what settings it uses but they are likely the same or similar to what I've said above.
03-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Gotcha. Great help. And if I find I need a faster shutter speed, can this be adjusted in P mode, too?
03-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the question and answers,helped me a lot.
Jake
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Gotcha. Great help. And if I find I need a faster shutter speed, can this be adjusted in P mode, too?
It can, but it's a bit hit and miss as rolling the e-dial can adjust for aperture & shutter speed in P mode.

It might indeed be better to go to "Tv" mode which is shutter priority mode. Depending on the sport & age group, you might need anything from 1/100 to 1/1000 to freeze the action and avoid blurry shots. For my 8 year old playing indoor soccer, I try to use 1/250 but because the lighting is so bad, I frequently have to use down to 1/100 just to keep the ISO below 3200, and this is with fast zoom (the 50-135 f2.8).

Getting sharp photos of indoor sports is very tough to do with a kit zoom to be honest. I'd imagine you will have to use ISO6400.
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #14

When I want to shoot moving horses I turn the mode dial to "Moving Object". This engages the continuous focus, the high speed continuous shooting and asks for a higher shutter speed. When the horses stop moving I change back to "P". Why is this not a good idea? Seems pretty simple.