Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will this lens work properly?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Will this lens work on my k-x with automatic functions?
Thanks,
Jake
Name:  458529742_o.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  152.7 KB

03-27-2011, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's got an A setting so you should be able to use Av,Tv,Sv modes and control the aperture on the camera body.
But wich lens is it?
It's not a PK/R right? The big ball there (second yellow thing, just in the opposite side to the red mark) looks a lot like a ricoh pin to me...If it is a PK/R (or it may be marked just KR) you ought to remove it or your lens might get stuck, there are guides online.
good example: theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 03-27-2011 at 05:12 PM.
03-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens is a Quantaray 35-80 f4-5.6.
Thanks,
Jake
03-27-2011, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
The big ball there (second yellow thing, just in the opposite side to the red mark) looks a lot like a ricoh pin to me...
That is a Ricoh Pin! This lens will fit your K-x however, DO NOT mount it until that pin has been removed or the lens may get stuck on your camera. Follow the provided link above for instructions on how to remove this pin.

03-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks,will remember and do that.
Jake
03-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bought the lens so hope it functions well.Sounds like it should be more functional than my old k lens.Will auto focus work on a k-x?If so it would be more than I would have hoped for.
Thanks,
Jake
03-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope..don't see no autofocus screw..
Focus will be manual but the body will be able to control aperture if you set the aperture ring to the A setting.

03-28-2011, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
That is a Ricoh Pin! This lens will fit your K-x however, DO NOT mount it until that pin has been removed or the lens may get stuck on your camera. Follow the provided link above for instructions on how to remove this pin.
It is NOT a pin. I have the exact same lens which has been on/off several Pentax bodies w/ no problem. It is a ball which depresses quite easily when you run your finger over it.
03-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This cheap lens is sounding better all the time as far as functions and ease of use,will find out about the glass shortly.
Jake
04-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hijack your thread bjake but I also have a lens question. I have a new K-r and have never purchased a lens for it except the one it came with. I am looking at these two lenses: Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/2 Prime and a Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens. I've been told that the Takumar will not meter properly with the k-r and will not fit without a screw mount, so that one is probably out. Is the other lens a good one for indoor photos such as portraits? Thanks for your help.
04-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shellinaya Quote
Sorry to hijack your thread bjake but I also have a lens question. I have a new K-r and have never purchased a lens for it except the one it came with. I am looking at these two lenses: Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/2 Prime and a Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens. I've been told that the Takumar will not meter properly with the k-r and will not fit without a screw mount, so that one is probably out. Is the other lens a good one for indoor photos such as portraits? Thanks for your help.
They will both work on your camera. The difference is, you need an M42 - K mount adapter to use the Takumar (and it is Far superior to the A50 f2.0). Depending on where you are, that adapter could be quite expensive. To have the best of all worlds and not go broke getting there, look into a Pentax A 50mm f1:1.7 (if you're after a 50).

With the Tak, the difference (other than above) is the camera will not control the lens. The way you meter with it is live in one of the auto modes (Av or Tv) and operate the aperture ring. The camera will default to Av in both those modes anyway. It actually works quite well if you're willing to give up camera aperture control (and give up Recording the Aperture).

04-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #12

Thanks for responding so fast, JeffJS, I have heard wonderful things about the Takumar lens. As far as the adapter, are you talking about this one: "M42 Lens To Pentax PK K Mount Adapter Focus Infinity"? They are quite inexpensive on ebay, if that's what you mean. I have never used an adapter on a camera.

But to keep things simpler, I'll probably look for that other lens, the 50mm f1:1.7
04-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shellinaya Quote

But to keep things simpler, I'll probably look for that other lens, the 50mm f1:1.7

If you want to keep your life simple, only buy Pentax mount A lenses. The older M and screw mounts should work on your camera but with the A's the only thing you need to deal with is the manual focus.

The Pentax A 1.7 is a far better lens than than the 2.0 and many have argued that it is better than the faster 1.4 or 1.2. Never having owned the latter two I don't have an opinion.
04-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #14

Sounds good.... I will search for a Pentax 1.7. thanks for the info.