Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Question about A series manual lens on K10D

Hi,
I'm new to photography and have been learning with a used K10D and its kit lens. I just bought a 50/1.7 A series Pentax manual lens and have been experimenting with it. There are loads of instructions for how to use the M series lenses, and the implication is that the A series lenses can do everything but auto focus. I can take pictures with it, but I can't seem to change any settings. Do I need to make changes in the menu? Should I be able to change shutter speed and aperture from the front and rear dials in the appropriate exposure modes? Are there any modes that don't work with the A series? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

03-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the A series is like all the more modern lenses. set at A and then you control aperture from the thumb wheel just like the kit and other new lenses
all options on the camera are open to you except AF
with a K/M/M42 you are very limited
If you want the m experience then change the use of aperture ring to yes in your menu and take it off A. then it is pretty much the same as an M or K lens
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the a series lens the lens must be in the A position but otherwise yes except AF everything else will work
03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi George and welcome.
The A series lenses are an excellent compromise of both world - the beautiful quality finish and smooth focusing mechanism of manual focus lenses, and the functionality of modern lenses.
Enjoy it.

03-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if I'm actually setting the lens to the "A" setting. Looking at the lens, I've rotated the aperture ring as far as it will go in the counter clockwise direction (which spins the green "A" on the dial toward the top. It doesn't go as far as the red hash mark at the top of the lens though). I'm getting the (nonblinking) "F --" on the lcd screen on the top. But the thumb and finger dials don't change the settings. Thanks. George
03-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

been a while since i ised an A but there is a little button you have to depress to move it the rest of the way
03-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi George,

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
been a while since i ised an A but there is a little button you have to depress to move it the rest of the way
Take Eddie's advice, Yes, look for the little button (to left of "A") that will allow you to rotate aperture ring to "A" setting and locked in...

QuoteOriginally posted by George Wickham Quote
Thanks for the replies. I wonder if I'm actually setting the lens to the "A" setting. Looking at the lens, I've rotated the aperture ring as far as it will go in the counter clockwise direction (which spins the green "A" on the dial toward the top. It doesn't go as far as the red hash mark at the top of the lens though). I'm getting the (nonblinking) "F --" on the lcd screen on the top. But the thumb and finger dials don't change the settings. Thanks. George
Also, check one last thing on your K10 settings, under Custom Settings > Using Aperture Ring should be set to #2 Permitted.

I would also inspect lens, take off camera and play around with the aperture ring, you should see aperture changing size, now gently move the aperture lever and you should see the opening go to it's largest size no matter what you have aperture set on... It needs to be able to do this to function properly on your camera (otherwise only max aperture is working).

If you have the lens correctly on the "A" setting, you can use any camera mode on your K10, both front (shutter) and rear (aperture) wheels should work as well as +/- exposure compensation.

You can still use the lens off the "A" setting but only in Manual Mode on your camera by manually setting the aperture and then using the green button so the camera meter can set correct shutter speed. In this case you can always set the shutter speed to compensate for any exposure issues with the front dial but the aperture can only be manually adjusted (and the F___ will be showing on top LCD)

Have fun - Rick

03-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies. I found the little button and after repeated pushing and a little hesitance, it let me slide the aperture ring where it needed to be for automatic. (I also did the aperture test on the lens off the camera and found it to be working.) I'm in business. Thanks for the help! George
03-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

George, the A50 1.7 has a common ailment where an internal part gets dislodged because the plastic weld used to hold it breaks eventually.

That's probably why you had so much trouble moving the ring to the A position.

Now that it is there you are in good shape, but don't move it off or you may never get it back over again.

There's a fix on the web if you ever need it.
Pentax 50mm lens fix

Larry